Life360 Device Tracker Platform

I wasn’t aware the “find my” service existed! Just tried it and it works for me.

Really? Care to share the yaml for your service call? I think maybe I don’t have the target right as the documentation had some conflicting examples.

From the Developer tools → services, it looks like this:

IN YAML:

service: icloud3.find_iphone_alert
data:
  device_name: "your device"
  "your device" is listed as a long numeric code.

IN UI MODE:

Curious, did you try setting the optional “max_gps_accuracy” configuration variable? In the documentation they mentioned trying this if you’re having problems with false zoning.

I have not.

After a day of playing around with google maps tracker and iCloudv3 tracker, seems google maps is a lot quicker at reporting zone changes. Not sure if there’s a configuration change to make on iCloudv3 to adjust the scan interval. I did configure the google maps tracker to scan every 10 seconds. As it is for me, it can take iCloudv3 over 30 minutes to report a change.

So far, if I had to rate all the trackers I’ve tried it would be as follows:

1. Google maps
  2. Home assistant mobile app (tied with google maps really)
  3. Owntracks
  4. iCloudv3
2 Likes

One of the directory python file tricks a few days ago worked but then broke again after a day. I’ve tried the logging out of the app and resetting the password, but still cannot re-add the Integration. Even if I log out on my phone, which questions the theory that you can’t log into two devices at once.

Got a quick response from Life360, but it’s not good:

Thank you for contacting Life360 about using Home Assistant. I can provide you information on this.

We understand the significance of using home automation programs with Life360. However, please note that we have stopped supporting home automation programs such as Hubitat, Home Assistant, Google Home, Alexa, IFTTT, and others. As a result, Life360 is no longer compatible with these programs.

At present, we have no plans to reintroduce compatibility with these programs. However, we value your feedback, and I will pass it on to the relevant team.

Have a safe day,

Life360 Customer Care

2 Likes

Yup, a template answer. I got that too…
Looking at Google Maps now…

I’ve cancelled our Life360 family subscription.

I’ve setup iCloud3, and might also try the Google Maps integration.

I have read reports that it drains iOS batteries quicker than the Apple iCloud integration.

Have you a better write-up for the google maps implementation than their page? From the Google maps location sharing, I can see the tracked devices, however, I have no idea how that is supposed to get into Home Assistant. I do have the cookies for each tracked device as files on my HAOS install (assuming the directory is the same as the config yaml), however, no devices and no integration.

Any assistance you would provide will be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers!!

Please see one possible procedure I documented here:

Device Tracker, Best echange for Life360 - Configuration - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

2 Likes

Here’s Google Maps and OwnTracks side by side. OT isn’t reliable at all.

How are you getting the cookie info in the incognito tab?

I tried to add the “get cookies locally” plug-in but it won’t let me install it in an incognito browser window.

I’m really struggling to get the google maps integration working.

I don’t have Google Chrome installed on the PC I’m currently using, so I can’t say for sure, but you might need to set an option for it to enable its use in incognito tabs. FWIW, see link to my detailed instructions a few posts above using Microsoft Edge on a Windows PC. The part about “HTTP only” I don’t think applied to the cookie extension I used on Chrome (and which the official docs mention.)

1 Like

Sorry, I hadn’t been thru that thread update yet. There’s a lot of them to keep up with on this topic. :laughing:

I’ve used your procedure and so far it seems to be working. I’ll add additional details in the other thread if needed.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Just in case someone else comes across this, you select the kebab icon for the extension to bring up the settings for it. Then enable the option to allow in “incognito” mode.

1 Like

I did this recently, and find the Google maps service works perfectly. Very responsive.
I followed the guide. Its missing some vital information.
I use Chrome. I added the Get Cookies.txt plugin. Use the default settings (ie netscape format whatever that means!). Don’t fiddle with it.
Assuming you are already sharing Google maps location with your wife for example;

• Get her to install the plugin on her profile (she obviously needs to be logged in to her Google profile)
  • Download her cookie file
  • Do the same on YOUR account
  • Transfer BOTH Cookie files to the HA Config Directory. I use WinSCP
  • rename both files as advised. REMOVE the .TXT bit at the end (this is the thing that caught me out)
  • Follow the configuration.yaml entry instructions.
  • Reboot HA.

Admittedly, it took a while, and an HA crash, for the entities to finally arrive…

1 Like

That’s a good alternative to creating a new account just for HA, assuming you can use your own account and someone else’s that you’ve shared your location with. The main reason, of course, for the second account is to get all the details (including picture & battery level) from your own account, which for some reason, the integration doesn’t provide for the specified account.