Light bulb feature difference between Tuya integration & Tuya app

G’Day, not even sure how to correctly describe my question, but here goes.

So i’ve installed the newly released official Tuya integration & i have control of my light bulbs now. No issues with basic functionality. However, it didn’t take me long to discover that control of the white light & coloured light settings is much more detailed with the Tuya app compared to what’s available with the entities in HA, at least from what i can see so far. For example, the Tuya app allows switching between white, colour & scene but the HA integration doesn’t give the same level of control.

I found that in HA as soon as i mess with colour control of a light then i can no longer revert the light to just plain & simple white mode. I have to go back to the Tuya app & activate the ‘white light’ or non-colour setting to effectively reset the bulbs to white only light.

My question is: Is this a limitation of the Tuya/Light integration or do i have to investigate the use of light profiles via light_profiles.csv or some other customisations to try to equalise the features of these lights? Maybe this is normal behaviour as of now. This is my first time experiencing RGBW bulbs in my home.

For reference i included some screen shots of the Tuya app & the HA controls to show the differences i found.

Cheers
Nick

Sorry, i don’t know the answer but you can create an issue on github to track this with dev team, if you can’t find a solution

I have since found that if i create some scenes in the Tuya app then reload the integration those scenes are added to HA. Then i can activate those scenes to apply the settings i want.
That helps quite a bit.

Nick

Kind of frustrating that the scenes are then managed in the Tuya app rather than in HA. Also I’m finding with a bank of 4 bulbs that I’m using a couple of sliders to try and get the exact same settings on each. If I could use the HA interface I’d have a chance of using the same variable each time and therefore get a consistent setting.

Was this method the only work around you could find?

Hi @Mitty_69
For me i was happy enough with just being able to activate a scene from HA. however, i read in the beta release notes for the 2021.11 release that there is a big Tuya update coming. Fingers crossed.

If you are trying to manage a group of lights all the same, you could also look at using a lights group … this works really well at treating all the lights as one (although I have not used it with tuya lights as yet.

Just in case this might help
Phil

Gahhh, I was really hoping that the new Tuya integration would expose some of these additional settings to Home Assistant. I have some xmas lights that I can change the ‘mode’ of using the Tuya app but don’t seem to be able to do anything with these in HA, even after the upgrade.

Annoying.

Hi,
I have experienced the same issues with a lot of bulbs controlled by Tuya. I have found that in HA try using the brightness control on RGBW & RGBWW bulbs. This should bring them back to White.

In YAML

colour
“rgb_color”: xx,yy,zz

White
“brightness”: xx

Seems like the standard Tuya integration still struggles with this change between “colour” and “white” modes.
Simple workaround for now is to use the LocalTuya integration. Unlike normal Tuya config, you need to configure some variables as follows when adding a Light Device:
ID: 20
Brightness: 22
Color Temp: 23
Color Mode: 21
Color: 24
Scene: 25