"Light Detected" displayed on binary sensor now instead of "On"

Updated to latest version of HA and now my group light binary sensors all say “Light Detected” instead of “On” and “No Light” instead of “Off” as their status on my lovelace display. I understand this is the state of the light entity, but they all used to say “On” and “Off” before. The sensor says on in the developer state page. I have not changed anything in the YAML. I read through the change notes and do not see any reference to this. What did I miss?

This is the only thing I could find that may be pertinent… .but what it changes in the function I have no idea… https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/42326. (From the All Changes section of the blog)

Do you have the device_class set for these? What integration are they from or are they template binary sensors you created?

They are binary sensors I created (well, copied from the interwebs).

binary_sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      downstairs_lights:
        friendly_name: Downstairs Lights
        device_class: light
        #entity_id: group.downstairs_lights
        value_template: >
          {{ is_state('group.downstairs_lights', 'on') }}
        icon_template: >-
          {% if is_state('group.downstairs_lights', 'on') %}
            mdi:lightbulb-group
          {% elif is_state('group.downstairs_lights', 'off') %}
            mdi:lightbulb-group-off
          {% else %}
            mdi:alert
          {% endif %}

So do you mean in the frontend it says that? I’m guessing the binary sensor “light” class is referring more to like a lux sensor to determine if a light is on or it is sunny… you might just want to remove the class all together and your icon template is already set to show as a bulb…

Hello. Commenting out the device.class line removed the Light Detected/No Light wording and it went back to on/off in the frontend. Thanks for your help Bartem.

This change surprised me too, though it didn’t happen until I updated from 0.118.4 to 0.118.5 just today.

I’m glad you posted this or I would have had a hard time finding the problem! Everything was working fine, I had made no changes to my code, and suddenly the device class lines were added to my yaml. These sort of out-of-nowhere errors/changes aren’t helpful