Light Groups "bouncy" brightness slider behaviour

I’m having some issues with a light group, consisting of three light exposed through a Philips Hue Hub. When I change the brightness in the UI, the slider springs back to an intermediate value for a second, before returning to the value I first chose.

This behaviour is also being propagated to the HomeKit UI, which makes it extra annoying.

Is there any way I can configure this to be “optimistic” or debounce it, to avoid this UI behaviour?

ezgif-2-103de11652

3 Likes

If you are experiencing issues with the brightness of your light group in the Philips Hue app or HomeKit UI, there are a few possible causes and solutions to try.

One possible cause of this issue is that the light group you are using contains lights with different brightness levels. When a group of lights with different brightness levels is adjusted in the app or HomeKit, the app or HomeKit will try to set the brightness of all the lights in the group to the same level. This can cause the brightness to appear to jump or spring back to an intermediate value briefly before returning to the desired level.

To fix this issue, you can try creating a new light group that contains only lights with similar brightness levels, and using that group instead. This will allow the app or HomeKit to adjust the brightness of the lights in the group more smoothly, without the jumping or springing back behavior.

Another possible cause of this issue is that the app or HomeKit is having difficulty communicating with the Philips Hue Hub. This can cause the app or HomeKit to display incorrect information about the state of the lights, including their brightness level.

To fix this issue, you can try resetting the Philips Hue Hub and reconnecting it to your home network. This will help to ensure that the app or HomeKit is able to communicate with the hub and receive accurate information about the state of the lights.

Hi, and thank you for your response. To clarify - the lights themselves are working perfectly well, with brightness changes being successful. It is entirely a problem with the Light Group.

To demonstrate, I have created a “zone” in the Philips Hue app containing three lightbulbs, all Philips Hue lights with equal capabilities. In Home Assistant, I have created the exact same grouping of three lightbulbs. When the brightness level of the zone is adjusted, the UI behaves correctly, but when the light group is adjusted, the unwanted UI behaviour is present. In both cases, the actual lights behave normally. It is purely a frontend UI issue.

ezgif-3

The Philips Hue hub is communicating correctly with Home Assistant via the integration, so I don’t believe there’s a need to reset it.

1 Like

Did you have any luck with this Sargant?
I have the exact same behaviour with a light group that includes a mix of tuya wifi and Phillips hue zigbee bulbs.

Same here! Would love a resolution to this as the “bouncy” sliders are driving me crazy. I would like to add that I’m experiencing this with both the brightness and color temp sliders (mix of Sonoff and Tuya bulbs).

I’m having the exact same issue. Hue bulbs only and using Hue bridge. I don’t know exactly when it started, but I didn’t have this issue prior to the 2023 update.

Home Assistant 2023.4.2
Supervisor 2023.04.0
Operating System 9.5
Frontend 20230406.1 - latest

Sorry to revive this thread. Was this ever resolved for you @rob_lvw or anyone else here?

I am having the same issue but I’m not sure if it is related to Home Assistant or more the fact that I am running IKEA bulbs on a Philips Hue bridge.

Hi. Same issue here with a full Hue set of lights.