Light On at Sunset & Off at sun rise Blueprint

Hi Guys
I am looking for a Blueprint that turns light on at Sunset and Off at Sun rise, Pls

Thanks
Vaughan

1 Like

You don’t need a blueprint for that because this automation is straightforward.

Example:

alias: Christmas lights auto on/off
mode: single
trigger:
  - platform: sun
    event: sunrise
  - platform: sun
    event: sunset
condition: []
action:
  - if:
      - condition: template
        value_template: "{{ trigger.event == \"sunrise\" }}"
    then:
      - type: turn_off
        entity_id: switch.switch_movil_1
        domain: switch
    else:
      - type: turn_on
        entity_id: switch.switch_movil_1
        domain: switch

Daniel
I tried using some of your coding here in a new automation - my knowledge of programming is pretty awful. I get an error when I try and test the template action. I just copied and pasted your value_template. I have put in a screen shot of the error. Is it a simple fix?

Pat

Daniel
A bit of fiddling and the below code worked?

- if:
        value_template: trigger.event == \sunrise\

I see the problem. The content of value_template should be a string. Its value should be quoted:

action:
  - if:
        value_template: "{{ trigger.event == \"sunrise\" }}"

Make sure to write the condition between double parentesis {{ }} as well.

Daniel,
try as I might I can’t seem to see any difference to your latest string example and what I had attempted but threw errors?
The other code without parenthesis and quote marks appeared to run through the test without issue?
Pat

Daniel
just worked out my error. I copied and pasted your example into the gui window. When I switched to YAML then then process worked. thanks
Pat

I don’t know what the GUI expects to receive as value template. Maybe trigger.event == "sunrise" or {{ trigger.event == "sunrise"}} and it will put everything between quotes and escape the existing quotes with \".
Maybe when you copy&paste the already ready-to-use-in-YAML value template, it gets confused and breaks the valid template when correcting it.

I usually start my automation using the GUI, and then I switch to YAML to verify it generates the correct YAML. I do the same each time I update an automation as well. To make sure the GUI didn’t break something.