Lights Turn Off with Transition = Lowest Brightness saved

When i turn off a Light (with Brightness 100%) and turn it off via

action:
    service: light.turn_off
    data:
      transition: 3

the Light has the lowest Brightness saved. If i turn it on again, it is at Brightness 1.
This is especially problematic with lights, that get turned on/off hard/wallswitched (Power cut and on again).
Is there a way to turn off Lights with transition, while they keep the Brightness they had before the Transition took place?

And/or - in some of my Use-Cases that might be even better - is there a way to program my Lights (Zigbee/Conbee II) to always turn on with max Brightness, not with the last Setting?

But most important might be a way to turn off Lights with Transition, without altering the stored Brightness-Value.

1 Like

Nobody faced that Problem? :thinking:
Any Ideas how to use Transitions for light.turn_off while preserving the last set Brightness?

If you transition off the light brightness ramps down to 0.

So 0 is the last brightness.

If you want some other value you will have to specify that when you turn the light on.

That was my Fear. I was hoping there is a Workaround to e.g. store the value for next Turn-on on the Device itself, updating it for a ms to the initial Brightness before turning off, using a Zigbee-Implementation rather than ramping the Values…
So no Transition for my Wall-Switched Lights :frowning:

Thanks anway for clarifying and confirming! :slight_smile:

Just commenting here to say that I just ran into this exact issue. I go to bed and the lights off with an automation. When someone wakes and presses “on”, it comes on to the lowest brightness. Trying to work out logic to resolve this.

Hi,
I also have the same problem and it’s not a small problem because trnaition in this case is not to adjut light, it’s to make it smooth … I can’t understant the idea behind.
Crossplatform control make that really problematic :

• at midgnight : HA turn off the light with a slow transition to respect every slleping familly members … really cool
  • at 6.00 oclock, some say Alexa turn on the lights … and nothing happend …not right, light is turn on but at 0%

If i make the same fade off with hue app or with Alexa app it’s working fine, light smoothly fade off and wake up with the desire level the next time we request it …

So there is a way to set the light brighness value at the same value before the fade off start but without turning on light ? just changing parameters ?

Thanks by advance

No.

You might be able to set the brightness after you turn off the light though. It depends on the hardware. Most lights do not have a way to adjust the brightness without turning on the light. Some do though. e.g. Lifx has the set state service, https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/lifx/#set-state

Additionally some zigbee or zwave lights have a turn on property you can set. e.g. my Wiser dimmers expose this property:

in this case the lights are Hue Fuzo light, do you know a way to proceed with these models ?

No I don’t know anything about that hardware.

This is all very weird to me. My hue lights do not behave like this. Turning them off with transition doesn’t set their brightness to minimum for the next restart. I just retested it. How are you doing the transition exactly? Because my hue lights support the light.turn_off with data transmission parameter.

service: light.turn_off
target:
  entity_id: light.sypialnia
data:
  transition: 5

This slowly fades out the light over 5 seconds. When I later use light.turn_on, it’s back to the brightness it had before the turn off service was sent.

Its exactly what i’m using :slight_smile:

then:
      - service: light.turn_off
        metadata: {}
        data:
          transition: 15
        target:
          device_id: 4342782b189188a15a2xxxxxx

but i can only turn light back on indication de brigntess value else it’s not working

That’s a bit weird. Are you using Hue bridge and Hue integration? That’s how I use mine and it works as I expect.

i’m testing an update, it’s look that i’ve a conflict : i’m not requesting the same entity from HA (light directly) and for Alexa (one Group with same name and only the tested light in it )…

And no, bad news …it was not a conflict, its a real problem! :frowning:
But i got a bit tweaked soluce by creating an automation that detect light turn on >> so it can be triggered even if event is fired by another integration like alexa or hue App.

alias: Terrasse_AutoAdjust_OnTurnON
description: >-
  Automatisation fake that reset brightness of a light to a defined values if
  light was turn off with a fade that set brightness to 0  and that stay  very
  low when you turn it back on with another inegration 
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - light.applique_fuzo
    to: "on"
    for:
      hours: 0