Lightwave Generation 2 component

The hub is needed in all circumstances. The hub communicates with the devices via some kind of secret proprietary wireless protocol.

To use the hub it with Home Assistant there are two options:

1. Use the custom component from this discussion. This will communicate with the hub via the cloud, is slightly trickier to install (as it’s not built in) but will give you slightly more functionality, including multi-press detection
  2. Use Home Assistant’s built-in Homekit support to connect to the hub. This will communicate with the hub locally, but will will only allow basic operation (on/off/dim). I don’t use this so don’t know that much about it.

You can have both methods running at the same time.

1 Like

ah thanks man

That does answer the questions I needed. If I cant do everything without having an internet connection (for some services) then sadly not the product for me :confused:

but thanks very much for helping :slight_smile:

I think Il take a look at scolmore and see what they can offer

Is it the ClickSmart devices from Scolmore? If so, they work on ZigBee. If you already have a controller they should be able to slot right in. I currently have a couple of the Mode double sockets and a Mode single socket.

They don’t need an Internet connection. I don’t use the Scolmore hub though as I already had a ZigBee controller.

I also have a couple of Lightwave sockets and switches from before I had a ZigBee mesh.

1 Like

I’m having some issues with my thermostats (electric switches) not updating climate cards. I can trigger commands from the cards which are sent to the heaters but the cards don’t update or reflect the heaters current settings. A reboot solves it for a short period of time (around an hour sometimes) as does triggering the public api on and off on the configuration settings.

Any ideas?

You’re not alone. There is an issue on GitHub for this

I don’t think it’s going to be an easy fix.

Thanks I saw the link and have got it working via public api at the moment. Hopefully Lightwave will sort things out at their end and a keep alive solution can be implemented as a fallback option. Thanks for being so responsive and getting people up and running. Wish there was a ‘coffee option!’ Your plug in solved 5 years of frustration I had with the official Lightwave HomeKit integration!

Hey

Have been looking at moving into the smart socket world and really like the appearance of the Lightwave stuff although it’s pretty pricey!

Just wondered what peoples real world experience is with Lightwave and how well it works with HA?

Am interested in just basic HA controls / energy monitoring which I think Lightwave has does this all work well?

Did see it mentioned the sockets state may not sync with HA if a button is pressed physically - is this right or does this work OK on the gen 2?

Anything else to look out for? Think the Lightwave stuff physically looks really nice and usually would just take the plunge and try it out but it’s pretty pricey for that!

Thanks
Marc

Not a straightforward answer I’m afraid.

There are two ways of integrating Lightwave generation 2 kit with HA.

1. Use the Homekit functionality that is built in to HA. This will give you basic on/off/dim control. I think it will be reliable in keeping the state sync’d with the device. I don’t know if it has power monitoring.
  2. Use the custom component from this thread. This gives much more functionality, BUT: currently the syncing of state is not 100% reliable (there appears to be a fault at the HA end which means after a certain amount of time the HA servers stop sending state changes). There are workarounds for this.

You could use a combination of the two methods above. Using Homekit for the basic stuff, and the custom component for anything more advanced.

Short answer - it’s going to take a bit of effort to get it set up with HA.

Hi, I’m not sure if I’m facing the know issue above relating to the HA receiving updates from Lightwave (seems like it but just want to check it’s not an issue my side)?

Essentially when I switch my lightwave lights on/off either physically or via the LightwaveRF app they turn off/on correctly, the Lightwave app correctly displays the state, however HA does not update the state. Further to this I can still turn lights on/off using HA and the state I set them to using HA is reflected correctly the in Lightwave app.

Is this the know issue described above (‘Home Assistant stop receving updates’ on GitHub) and is the current solution to install the beta update?

Yes, this is the known issue. The beta version doesn’t fix this, but it does enable two workarounds (one is to forcibly disconnect and reconnect to the LW server after a specified time, the other is to use an automation to detect when updates from the server have stopped).

Hi @bigbadblunt - I love the ability to tap into the lightwave custom events and get access to status LEDs and power monitoring using your custom component. I’m using it in combination with the HomeKit functionality to provide reliable syncing etc. Would it be possible to offer a single configuration option to disable/hide entities that the HomeKit integration provides? This would save having to go through disabling each of the “duplicate” entities one by one.

I can do that. Can you confirm which entities should be disabled? Is it just the main light & switch entities?

I have just pushed a new beta release that has this option. Let me know if it works as expected.

1 Like

Hi @bigbadblunt. Apologies for the delay - things have been quite hectic. I’ll grab the beta and give it a go.

I finally got chance to take a look - the change does what it says on the tin by hiding the entities that existing in HomeKit. Although there was a flaw in my cunning plan - I was hoping to continue to see lightwave2.click events but hadn’t appreciated that by hiding the entities the events wouldn’t come through. For now I’ve unchecked the option to hide them and am renaming the entities to be clearer that they’re from the lightwave integration by adding LW in the name. So I have light.bedroom_ceiling & light.bedroom_ceiling_lw.

Has anyone else felt that this issue has got worse in the last few days even with the forced reconnects? It seems like LW are purposely trying to make it difficult to see events through Home Assistant!

@bigbadblunt

FYI Seems that HA have been changing methods and lightwave2 needs an update. Home Assistant 2022.10.0

Logger: homeassistant.helpers.frame
Source: helpers/frame.py:77
First occurred: 8:39:57 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 8:39:57 PM

Detected integration that uses deprecated async_get_registry to access device registry, use async_get instead. Please report issue to the custom integration author for lightwave2 using this method at custom_components/lightwave2/init.py, line 103: device_registry = await dr.async_get_registry(hass)

Which version of the integration are you running? 3.5.15 doesn’t have this warning.

3.5.15 according to the manifest.json - however I am not sure this is a true reflection as the github file also states 3.5.15 and I know I don’t have the beta release from the 2nd Sep.

indeed the latest beta release removed the warning.