Lightweight IOS version (for IOS 9.3.5

I believe its an issue with lovelace. Loading the authentication page in browser (which you have to do both from the ios app to authenticate or from just going to the HA instance in the browser) just shows a blank page in my case. I believe ther are other posts on the forum about exacty this issue. Sadly it seems there isnt a good solution to this. OThers appear to instead use something like HADashboard and appdaemon or tileboard instead (presumably to get aroudn the issues with lovelace.

1 Like

Sorry :wink:
The login prompt never appears - a endless initializing.
Probarbly caused by old browser…

2 Likes

Yep, same problem on an iPad 3, stuck on 9.3.5.
This problem is regularly popping on the frontend github issues.
My guess is that it is too much of a hassle to deal with these old devices.

1 Like

AFAIK, the problem lies with the Polymer framework used to build the HA lovelace frontend…
https://polymer-library.polymer-project.org/3.0/docs/browsers

Polymer 3.x works in the latest two versions of all major browsers: Safari 10+, IE 11+, and the evergreen Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.

1 Like

is there anything at all that can be done or just throwing away the ipad ?

4 Likes

did you found a workaround? same problem on my side with an Ipad mini 1 running ios 9.3.5. I’m looking now if jailbraking might allow me to update the browser

1 Like

Same problem: I have iPad 3 only able to run iOS 9.3.6 currently.

It would be great if the app could run somehow on these perfectly working devices.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Same problem: I have 5x iPad 3 only able to run iOS 9.3.5 currently.
some workaround :frowning:

1 Like

Just decided to brush the dust off my old iPad and turns out it’s iPad 3 iOS 9.3.5. Was excited to get it going as I used it a long time ago and now it’s not supported :frowning: any solution would be nice.

1 Like

I’m looking for a status only display for my kitchen and was thinking about running a standalone webserver and pushing HA data to it via MQTT. Haven’t worked out the details yet, but I think you could also control devices, or at the least, run automations with MQTT messages.

I’ll post back as I come up with more.

You could expose HA entities back to Homekit and then use an old Homekit app. Hesperus should still work on iOS9. The Elgato Eve app might work as well.

I have the same issue and instead of using Lovelace I use an Appdaemon dashboard. Not exactly the same but one can still do a lot on a iPad 3 with iOS 9.3.5.

C

1 Like

Same issue here.

1 Like

For an awesome workaround see this post: Options for Lovelace on older iPad (ios 9.3.5)

1 Like

Quick heads up on the problem: just saw this in the 0.117 announcement

We improved compatibility and Home Assistant is now usable on more, mostly older, devices.

I just updated and tried on my old iPad, and it works: Version 0.117 brings the iPad 3 compatbility back!
Many thanks to the HA team!

5 Likes

@nagubal thank you so much for posting this! I have RPI3b with latest HassOS that I’m playing with and I just tested it on my iPad 2 — worked flawlessly. Thank you HA Team, awesome job!

1 Like

@nagubal thank you for posting. Waiting for something like that for a long time

Already charging :wink: my old iPad :smile:

Greez from vienna

1 Like

@nagubal works better but not perfect - button card installed via HACS is not showing on the iPad 3 and saying Custom element doesn’t exist :frowning:

At least its connect which is a great start.

2 Likes

I have the same problem, my custom cards doesn’t show up, I hope it will be fixed soon.

2 Likes

Same here, seems lik a lot of custom scripts are not loaded.
Kiosk Mode also does not work on my old device

1 Like