Limit each alexa Device to specific entities

Hi everyone,
I’m sorry if this has been covered elsewhere; if that’s the case, please point me in the right direction.

Use case: i have several entities in a 10+ room music school, I’d like to have “some alexa” in each room, wich i need for actual use, not just for aesthetics, if you get what i mean.

The thing is, I’d need each alexa to be able to control only what is in its room, in order to avoid deliberate pranks and, well, Simple errors that could affect people in other room.

Is it possible to do so?

And, for discussion’s sake, does any of this make any sense?

Thanks to anyone contributing.

Only if the echo devices are each on thier own accounts… But that then poses an issue to device controls. Amazon does not have a way to sequester devices by account. So if you expose your entity to your Amazon account all echoes on that account ‘see’ it.

Also… Because trombone sections are 100% trombone sections over the planet… You won’t want voice prompting available anywhere in any of those classrooms… :joy:You’re probably going to have to rethink this.

Thanks!

Yes, i was thinking specifically about trombones :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Went to school for MuEd. Not teaching now… but always trombone proof your classrooms.

Uhm…

Maybe a sonos Device could do just that?
I Read that on sonos you can mute/un utente the Microphone remotely.

But why. If it’s muted most of the time and cannot be unmuted in the class (the only way to make it safe…) then you don’t need it for device control its just an announcement speaker. At which point any dumb intercom speaker works.

It’s far useless than you think!

What i really need is something with an aux output (the input would be nice, but not mandatory), to wich i can connect via Bluetooth; you know, for backing track, etc.

The echo dot (3rd gen), when on sale, costs less than any other device, PLUS i can manage it via HA.
For Example: i have a physical button to switch on/off the mixer and PA via HA automation, and i can use it to tell (via tts) that specific alexa to connect with teacher’s phone.

You know, some Singers will be using the room, and i want to make it as Simple as possible :joy:

I understand exactly what you are asking, am familiar with band, orchestra, chorus, percussion, and elementary groups.

Theres simply no way to safe that device for a classroom short of muting the microphone and soldering the button…

Jokingly trombones. But seriously, the risk of one kid letting loose with a timed routine and a misunderstanding parent will cost jobs. (im not a teacher anymore but i am in Ed tech as are most of my family… There’s no way I’d allow these in my classroom…)

… I guess tomorrow morning will be spent opening an echo dot, then :joy:

Just in case someone in the future might find himself in the same situation:

I’m giving a try to rip an echo dot (3rd gen) open and put a magnetic switch, so that the Microphone can be switched only on this “secret” way.

It’s not a smart Solution, can’t Be automated, but it could work in my specific case.

I’ll keep you updated!

(TBH I’m not doing this by myself, and idea isn’t mine, but I’ll take credit for posting it on HA forums :rofl:)