Limitations of Hass.io

Before I transition over to Hass.io from a standard AIO Rasibian install I would like to understand a bit more about potential pitfalls I may face.

In particular, there are a few features I am currently using and wondering if they can trivially be made to work ?:

• udev rules for naming devices with something sensible and persistent e.g. USB zwave dongle as /dev/zwave (rather than /dev/ttyAMA0)
  • Command line Python scripts that open and write to serial port devices called via the command line sensor Haddon
  • Custom SSL certificates being used for both HA and mosquito external interface

Thanks Dilby

3 Likes

Hi All,

I want to do a fresh install and would be great if anyone car provide answers to the above before I make the transition.

Thanks

AFAIK, custom SSL for both HA and mosquitto are possible. You have to place the certificate files in share folder for example and then indicate that path in config file and in the mosquitto addon options.

Thanks. I went ahead and did the install.

SSL was pretty painless… There is already an empty folder called /ssl where I put the key and certificate. in the configuration.yaml, I had to specify “/ssl/keyfile.key” and “/ssl/certificate.crt” whereas in the mosquito add-in config (through the hass.io tab), I had to ommit the “/ssl” part.

Now I need to figure out if I can run command line python scripts that access a serial port and also if I can define dev rules. Job for tonight.

Thanks

I know this is kind of an old thread but did you ever manage to talk to devices via your serial port using Hass.io.
It looks to me like Hass.io doesn’t support running python scripts from a command line in Hass.io. I haven’t found any way to use the RS-232 port of the raspberry pi when using Hass.io as the operating system. Thanks.

No, couldn’t figure out using python scripts with the serial port and reverted back to the all-in-one installer in the end.