LimitlessLED MiLight starts dimmed if turned off with Hass and then at wall

Hi,

I’m a complete noob, first week of using Hass. Copied and pasted the LimitlessLed config and got the light working.

However, have noticed something I feel is odd… is this normal behaviour for the MiLight bulbs to turn on dimmed?

Steps to reproduce:

1. Light is on, full brightness
  2. Switch off with Hass
  3. Switch back on with Hass (remembers full brightness)
  4. Turn off light with Hass
  5. Later, girlfriend attempts to turn on the light with the physical wall switch (standard light switch), realises that it was already on at the switch, and flips it again to turn light back on
  6. Light turns on, but dimmed right down

Result = girlfriend gets angry for having to get her phone out to turn the brightness back up :-/

I’m using Raspian Jessie Lite Jan 2017 and the All-in-One installation on 0.38.3 on a Raspberry Pi 2.

Thanks,
Tim.

Hi Tim, unfortunately this is normal behaviour for the light. It remembers it’s last state before it was turned off. In your case it remembers it was off so defaults to it’s ‘off’ state.
My wife also gets annoyed with it. I’ve just ordered a Xiaomi Yeelight. I believe you can tell them what the default state should be when the power is turned back on.
Will let you know. They are similar price.
If I find a solution I will let you know. I have emailed the company I bought them off to see if they have a solution that doesn’t mean resorting to a phone

I’m also experiencing the same behaviour and indeed it’s very annoying. I automated some scripts which can be fired of via Tasker and httppost commands but that’s still a lot more of a hassle than simply switching a lightswitch (Home Automation is supposed to make things easier right? :blush:)

Ahh, that sucks. Yes, please let me know how the Yeelight performs!

Thanks.

Yeah, it’s not gonna cut it with the girlfriend that’s for sure! This could be the end of the road for MiLight and me.

Yeelight installed and working well. If it’s turned off from your phone and the powered on from the wall it will go back to a white light. If it’s anything else ( coloured or dim etc) it goes back to that state when you turn it on.

Only problem is it’s e27 type only. No b22. Colours better than my milights. Also good that it does colour temperature and brightness. Would recommend these over milights. Report on their state too…So if you use the Yeelight app home assistant knows what it’s changed too. Wish I hadn’t bought 7 of the milights now

Excellent! Do you mind me asking which ones you bought and from where you purchased them?

I bought some Bayonet to E27 adapters from Ikea, they come in a pack of two for a quid. If you’ve got an Ikea nearby they’re good quality.

http://www.gearbest.com/smart-lighting/pp_361555.html?wid=21

Thats where i got mine from. Free shipping takes about two weeks. Used the company a lot and never had issues with them. Setup quite easy.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

So I have exactly the same problem. A potential solution is replacing or adding new light switches / buttons, but I haven’t done that yet and it’s not really elegant.

The actual problem doesn’t entirely lie in milight bulbs themselves, but also in the python lib and/or the HA component that controls them. What’s happening is that the lib does some fancy state tracking, so it can do transitions between different states nicely. So when you turn a bulb off, it first fades it out and then turns it off, which has two good effects:

1. It looks nicer with a fade out.
  2. If you have the bulb at 100%, turn it off, then want to turn it on to 20%, it doesn’t first turn on instantly to 100% then fade to 20% as it would without the fade out.

It also has the bad effect that you mentioned:

1. If you turn off the light at 100%, then turn it on via switch, it turns on at 1%.

There might be additional considerations, but I’ve come to the conclusion that I’d rather live without 1) and 2) than to have 3). Additionally, 1) isn’t too relevant with RGBWW bulbs anymore, since they fade on and off by default.

I’ve been wanting to implement an option in the milight python lib (and/or the HA component) that doesn’t do transitions for turning off and on, which would work around this problem.

Also, I wonder if the “set default value” feature is possible with a new bridge or even just a firmware update to existing ones.

1 Like

Okay, I looked into it and it seemed fairly simple. The code just adds a fade-out to 0 before turning off, so currently I’m just running a hacked version that doesn’t do that and it has been working pretty well.

Then I fixed it properly, so it’s configurable per-group. It’s now up as a pull request, so hopefully it’s going to be available in the main version soon! :bulb: :smiley: :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Ahh, excellent Smily, sorry for the slow response. Thank you for that. I just tried it in hassio v 50.0 and it works much better. My girlfriend will be pleased; she may even allow me to continue with the deployment throughout the house! :wink:

1 Like