Linear NGDZ00-4 Garage Door

Add the garage door. Why in the heck would I do that when after I rebooted it was just sitting there waiting to be used :grinning:

Siren also. Just sitting there all good to go.

Next step is to add my alarm panel as a secondary device and hope everything syncs up nicely. I still don’t have a state in HA for the panel so I am not optimistic.

I still may need to find support for my panel like the garage door opener.

Thanks again for hanging in there.

What alarm panel are you using? I am interested in setting up an alarm system as well but haven’t found anything that will integrate.

2gig gc3 and alarm.com. I can use alarm.com to detect when the system is armed/disarmed and if the panel doesn’t sync, I plan on using the two hard wired dry contact relays on the panel to report different states of the panel. Been a very long road but I am almost there.

Are you guys getting slow restarts with 64.3 and 1.5? or Multiple starts required to get it going? I just went from 63 to 64.3… Updated OpenZwave from 0.4.3 to 0.4.4 (1.5v) and running into this issue.

1 Like

Ok slow restarts settled after a few reboots. The problem I am now having on 64.3 is that when I add the garage I do not get the cover component at all. I have tried removing it a few times rebooting Hass and Go-Control… Adding as secure… Adding as normal… Anyone else experience something similar? I tried searching about but nothing.

@ttaidapos what I have found is wait for it to initialize fully to where it is complete, and then refresh the node. Has worked every time. This is using open zwave 0.4.3.

2 Likes

Alright the very weird thing is when i start/restart/reboot 1.5 gets overwritten with 1.4 which explains why I couldn’t get the cover to show when adding in zwave when using “pip3 install python-openzwave --install-option=”–flavor=ozwdev"

I updated my install instructions to the following:

cd /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant
sudo systemctl stop [email protected]
sudo su -s /bin/bash homeassistant
source /srv/homeassistant/bin/activate
pip3 uninstall python_openzwave
pip3 install --no-cache-dir python-openzwave==0.4.3 --install-option="–flavor=ozwdev"

When I start hass though i get the following:
Mar 17 20:24:56 raspberrypi systemd[1]: [email protected]: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Mar 17 20:24:56 raspberrypi systemd[1]: [email protected]: Unit entered failed state.
Mar 17 20:24:56 raspberrypi systemd[1]: [email protected]: Failed with result ‘signal’.

Any ideas?

I did try to blow away the DB and let Hass rebuild it.
I did edit the /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zwave/init.py and edited the version to 0.4.4 but i’m getting getting the same error and can’t start.

Should be 0.4.3 if you’re using 0.4.3 libs.

I tried 0.4.3 and 0.4.4 both yield the same error when trying to start.

Mar 17 20:24:56 raspberrypi systemd[1]: [email protected]: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Mar 17 20:24:56 raspberrypi systemd[1]: [email protected]: Unit entered failed state.
Mar 17 20:24:56 raspberrypi systemd[1]: [email protected]: Failed with result ‘signal’

Uninstalling open-zwave and starting Hass reverts to the latest from Hass and starts normally.

Hi folks,
Are we still in a position where the garage door is still not supported as a cover in the main branch? If so is the additional edits not worth pushing?

I’m having an issue having this device (removed from wink) show up as a cover. However my blinds show up as a cover?

The garage door is a barrier class device and the barrier class is not supported in the main OZW branch. Cover is an HA device / description.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying, been down a custom route before only to see it rolled out in the next version so wanted to check how much extra tinkering was needed.

The issue is OpenZwave not officially supporting it yet on their master branch, you can get support via their dev branch. I have been running that for over a year and it’s working fine for me. YMMV

No modifications to HA need to be done.

1 Like

Anything else need to be modified for ubuntu in the script other than the file locations? script has seemingly worked, had a bunch of warnings of deprecations. On to testing :slight_smile:

Not sure I’ve only used it on a Pi.

ok. i’ll report back with any issues - seems to be ok so far (although i know i’m going to immediately regret saying that)

EDIT: [On Ubuntu 17.0]
versions were the same in the script
file locations needed changing
(in my example user was different)
I also had an issue with /usr/lib/python3.6… permissions (but seemingly easy enough to fix)

now on to test the garage door itself this eve

I got it to work. I’m using the following Dockerfile:

FROM homeassistant/home-assistant:0.65.5

RUN set -e && \
    pip uninstall -y python_openzwave && \

pip3 install --upgrade cython==0.24.1 && \
    pip3 install --no-cache-dir python_openzwave==0.4.3 --install-option="--flavor=ozwdev" && \
    mkdir -p /usr/local/share/python-openzwave && \
    ln -s /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/python_openzwave/ozw_config /usr/local/share/python-openzwave/config

I did lose all my device names. Also, when I secure paired it, I got a MAC error, and had to do “Refresh Node” (and perhaps a restart) for it to get me the coveted “Cover” widget.

Yeah I wish they would just release a new version of openzwave. It’s been years since the last release.

1 Like

Tried these manually, all went fine but still getting same error :frowning:
Mar 17 20:24:56 raspberrypi systemd[1]: [email protected]: Failed with result ‘signal’

not going to lie - this is a MASSIVE ball ache.

who do we have to pressure on the OZW to add a freaking garage door?

cant build open-zwave-control-panel (and cant figure out what isnt right) - and REALLY dont want to have to do ANOTHER rebuild to get a garage door working

edited covers/zwave.py as per guidance above - but not able to install dev version of ozcp