Linear NGDZ00-4 Garage Door

So if I use Docker will this work now? I’m more confused reading these comments.

yeah works with docker

essentially HA created their own fork of OZW WITH barrier command class (yey), but they called it
homeassistant-pyozw instead of python_openzwave

same underlying info but, as mentioned, with the command class for garage door.
issue people are having here is that they want to add other things on TOP of garage door (like locks or thermostat) - hence the need for @edif30 dockerfile Linear NGDZ00-4 Garage Door

do you have this in the zwcfg___.xml
https://pastebin.com/k50xji5k

I added that and I get a cover to show up, but nothing happens. It does not respond to the tilt sensor and clicking open does not make the device attempt to open the door.

I just have it sitting next to me on a table, so its not actually hooked up to a door.

was it added before or did you add it AFTER the 0.82 docker build.
also did you add secure node? (assuming there is battery in the tilt sensor if you havent used it for a while)?

I just added today after upgrading. I did a secure add. I also replaced the battery in the tilt sensor.

So, until I can find the files that modified my thermostats, I am pretty good using ha the way it is. No more fiddling after every couple installs.

I think we are better off working to find a way to get the files added to the Home Assistant github and have the Home Assistant branch work for everyone. Just my two cents.

They seemed interested in adding the locks if it was done correctly.

a few people said they had to wait for their zwave network to all come up, then reboot a couple of times - possibly even HEAL to get it to show up.

I have noticed you need to wait a good period of time after adding secure nodes before you do anything. Go have a beverage of choice and just let it sit there. Also, you may need to remove it if it was connected before.

This worked. I removed the node then rebooted my machine. Then I factory reset the Linear device. Then, after Zwave was ready, I did another secure add. It initially showed up as unidentified, so, after about 5 minutes of no change, did a refresh from the Zwave page. I then got it to show that it was a Linear device, but still no cover. Then I did a heal node, no change, then another refresh, and then it was all there. A cover device and a bunch of sensors. The tilt sensor now responds properly and up/down activate the device.

Thanks everyone for the help.

3 Likes

I can confirm that this works as well. Removed, rebooted and secure add did the trick! Thank goodness!

glad it worked :slight_smile: eventually

I am happy to report that with HassIO 0.82.0 on my Rasberry Pi 3b+, the NGDZ00-4 is now working out-of-the-box.

However, as reported by many others, I did have to exclude and then re-add the device in order to get the cover control to show up. And also as reported by others, it took quite some time before the network stabilized after the initial exclude and again after the subsequent include.

But it is working fine now – thanks to everyone who worked to get this functional in the first place and then lobbied to get the soft-fork implemented in hass.

1 Like

I had really been hoping to see 1000 posts but with this “fixed” this thread may just die away. Almost 2 1/2 years long. So sad :wink:

2 Likes

Little did I know how long this thread would run when I asked an innocent question a couple of years ago :wink: Now I can brush off my linear and dismantle the heath robinson fake cover I made …

4 Likes

@aimc patience pays off. :wink:

1 Like

I am beyond stoked to say that it works for me right out of the box now! Just a reminder to folks just visiting this thread that you need to add the network_key option under zwave in your configuration.yaml. Thank you @aimc for starting this thread and engaging everyone! Persistence has paid off!

Edit:

I can control and see the current state of the garage door after adding the cover, however the associated binary_sensor doesn’t appear to update. Any ideas? I am interested in the sensor so I can have a quick glimpse of the sensor at the top of the gui to see if the door is open or closed.

I got my locks and garage door working last night right out of the box as well! Super stoked!

To echo @hopsided, definitely get your network key worked out first. I still had an options.xml laying around, and I spent hours to realize that if I dropped the key in there too, it would work. I couldn’t find out if I could just delete that file and work straight in the configuration.yml file or not.

1 Like

The cover state will tell you if it’s Open, Opening, Closed, Closing, Stopped, Unknown

Does anyone know what this entity is:
sensor.Linear GD00Z-4 Garage Door Opener Remote Controller Unknown

It showed up a day or two after getting this to work, doesnt seem to do anything (just reads 0.0), and I can’t even rename it like the rest of the entities.

I also don’t have a binary_sensor. I wonder if this is a mis-identified sensor?

For reference, I have 5 other sensors and 1 cover.