Linear NGDZ00-4 Garage Door

Did you compile OpenZwave with the patch or the dev version of OZW mentioned further up in this thread? Perhaps @m00dawg could comment on whether it still requires the Dev OZW.

As far as I know it does, but I havenā€™t honestly looked. I have been afraid to touch it without backing up my entire container :slight_smile: but it has been working reliably these past few weeks.

If OZWCP works but HA does not, my guess is python-openzwave may be either building itā€™s own ozw library or clobbering your manual patches for OZW itself. You have to edit the python-openzwave makefile so it doesnā€™t try and rebuild OZW.

If OZWCP doesnā€™t work, then either OZWCP or OZW itself hasnā€™t been properly patched/built.

Itā€™s pretty involved for someone new to HA so itā€™s a bit unfortunate you have to go through this gauntlet. Generally well worth it though.

You will always still have the sensors there in the list, because theyā€™re detected by zwave. Just to check the bases, did you check to see if there is a cover.linear... item in that list already? The config should have the followingā€“is it there?

zwave:
  usb_path: ...
  ...etc

cover:
  platform: zwave

Can you confirm that you have this?

Thanks for the update.

Thank you all for the responses. I decided to start working on my own version similar to this: https://www.tannr.com/2015/02/12/raspberry-pi-garage-door-opener-part-2/. I will then need to figure out how to implement mqtt to talk to HA.

MQTT to HA is a piece of cake. I use this for door sensors among other things. I considered going the arduino+relay route as well for the garage opener (Pi is overkill but will also work), but then the Cover support was added to HA so I didnā€™t need to. Seems a shame to have the hardware and not implement it, but good luck with whatever you decide to do!

On 0.32 my home assistant is no longer showing the garage door openers as a cover item. I had been using the patched OZWCP with previous versions and had been working well.

Those that got this ZWave garage door opener working on home assistant, is it still working with 0.32.x version?

I havenā€™t as Iā€™ve been a bit apprehensive about updating since I read it can require some reconfiguration. Since weā€™re nearing the Holidays my focus has shifted to getting my lights up (I do lights to music and itā€™s a ton of work) such that I donā€™t want to have to eat up a lot of my time in having to fix a buncha stuff after an HA upgrade. I am planning on it though, just not for a few weeks.

HA itself does not require any patching as far as I remember. However, if the upgrade process pulled down a new version of python-zwave, it may need to be re-patched. At least if memory serves. I guess if weā€™ll have to continue manually patching a buncha libraries for the barrier support, it makes sense to right a more comprehensive document on how to do it. Iā€™ve done it a few times and I canā€™t totally remember all the steps off the top of my head :slight_smile: Once I tackle my own upgrade to 0.32 Iā€™ll perhaps look at doing that.

Iā€™m having the same issue as @simong

Itā€™s not a matter of re-patching python-zwave, as I tried that and still had no luck.

I think it might actually be a HASS bug, but I too havenā€™t had time to do it so I just reverted to 0.31.1 for now.

the 0.32 upgrade notes mentioned something about deprecated garage_door elements being removed, so maybe that impacted us somehow, or maybe that removal was a bit more agressive than it meant to beā€¦

I confirm that the garage door controller isnā€™t showing up as a cover entity for me running either of the two latest HA versions, even after triple-checking all patch/config steps outlined in this thread. OZWCP can open and close the door just fine, but all I get in HA are sensors.

@jrowberg

If youā€™ve got time and the ability, could you open an issue on GitHub so we can get this in front of some of the devs?

I just tested 0.33.1 and my z-wave garage doors show up again as cover items in home assistant (they did not, up to 0.32.4). It seems the bug was resolved.

Same here. I installed 0.33.4 a few minutes ago and the opener appeared magically (and it works correctly). Yay!

Is patching openzwave still required for this device to work? Or does it work out of the box with 0.33.4 now?

My version of OZW was already patched manually from previous efforts when I updated to 0.33.4. Iā€™m working on a start-to-finish tutorial, so Iā€™ll see what happens without patching when I get to that step in creating the material. I am not sure exactly when that will be.

Iā€™m afraid to touch my setup since the new HA changes a buncha Z-Wave stuff apparently and my automation is working well. After the holidays is when I plan to do all the upgrades. Part of my Holiday Lights show depends on HA working well (as it turns off things like my porch lights and stuff).

Having said that, once I got it all working, the Linear opener has been super reliable. Iā€™ve been very happy with it.

I manually patched OZW and OZWCP. I didnā€™t touch the python-openzwave. I did HA install using All in one installer on raspberry PI3. I have no luck detecting the linear zwave garage door relay. I keep seeing the following error.

2016-12-14 17:29:53.121 Error, Node003, ERROR: Dropping command, expected response not received after 1 attempt(s)

Any help in getting further would be much appreicated.

I believe you need to patch python-zwave as well. I was not able to get HA working until I did that.

I am using 0.34.4. We will have to apply the patches. It looks like open zwave drivers and control panel is not yet updated to support this relay. I just patched. I will update this thread on my attempt soon.

I tried to rebuild python-openzwave. Running in to following error:

make[2]: Leaving directory ā€˜/srv/hass/src/python-openzwave/openzwave/cpp/examples/MinOZWā€™
make[1]: Leaving directory ā€˜/srv/hass/src/python-openzwave/openzwaveā€™
python setup-lib.py build
Traceback (most recent call last):
File ā€œsetup-lib.pyā€, line 30, in
from Cython.Distutils import build_ext
ImportError: No module named Cython.Distutils
Makefile:266: recipe for target ā€˜buildā€™ failed
make: *** [build] Error 1