Link M5 Atom Echo to external speaker

Please add new configuration option (same as “Assist pipeline”, “Use Listen Light”…) which would be called “External speaker” and would allow to select any media player entity. Then, if this settings is empty, everything would behave as now. But if you add any speaker here and you give voice commands to M5, you’d get replies spoken back from the selected speaker instead of the teeny-tiny integrated one.

5 Likes

this would be ideal

Here is my approach to link atom echo to external speaker. V1 is older approach, v2 is new one…

v1 GitHub - mirecekd/atoms-for-girls: M5Stack Atom Echo mic and Google repros as speaker with two Home Assistant Assists

v2 atoms-for-girls/READMEv2.md at a418e5fc68fddabfbe5e943369e3a8a53bcaadc8 · mirecekd/atoms-for-girls · GitHub

It looks like my issue is for amazon echo speakers not working. I have seen a video of these devices actually using an external speaker for TTS, but this does not work at all for the amazon echo speakers. Very very frustrating

I connected one of these to the M5 and then connected an external amplifier.

Thats a good idea, but I don’t want to run even more wiring around the house. I think the services are a tad premature for me to go into any further at this point as I am not going to buy and replace all of these echo dots… and after hours of looking, noone else has them working either. Its just a matter of time that they will work as easily as google speakers do. …i hope…

I have 8 total that run really well. 4 esp32 based, and 4 Wyoming satellites.
I have retired the 4 ESP 32 devices for the Wyoming satellites.
The Wyoming satellites are doing their job very well.
I tinkered with the M5, but its not a good candidate for a voice assistant. The one I use with the amp I posted is just a media player now. It performs better than the Chromecast I had in its place.

hah! thats funny! I have 4 of each as well. I like the little atoms better with the obvious exception that I cant hear anything and it wont connect to alexa dots. :frowning:

The Wyoming satellite constantly blinked the lights and it weirds out the wife. Honestly I dont know what it blinks at all as it shouldnt unless it is being woken with its wake word.

I am kinda stuck with alexa’s until I can get either of these to play through the alexa dots. A real bummer and a ton of wasted time on it.

None of the led’s activate on any of my Wyoming Satellites unless the wake word is spoken. Maybe you have something configured wrong?

very possible, they are all in the closet currently…

I have no need to bother with these again until they can talk to echo speakers.

Newbie here just starting my HA journey 2 days ago. My solution for linking the Atom Echo to an external speaker was to drill a 2mm hole in the side, pass a thin cable inside and solder it to the speaker wires. The other end plugs into the 3.5mm socket on a Bluetooth speaker I had lying around. The internal Atom mic continues to provide input and sits on top of the speaker. Works great!

how did you hook this up?