Linux-firmware on home assistant os for MediaTek

Hey,
Thank you for the all the work on HAOS!

Recently, I have bought an ASUS USB-AC51 WiFi Adapter to connect devices via wlan0: ASUS USB-AC51 - TechInfoDepot

The adapter runs on a chip called MediaTek MT7610U. To install its drivers, I need to run sudo apk add linux-firmware - the driver is already there in subpackage called linux-firmware-mediatek.

Unfortunately, the packages are deleted and not properly persisted on the operating system. How to achieve this?

I use a newest HAOS version and I am logged in as root. System in running on the alpine linux x86_64.

That sounds like you SSHd to the SSH add-on, which runs Alpine, and that you’re not on the host, which uses BuildRoot.

Yep, that’s true, I have plugged in to the machine and I can not add any driver, buildroot does not allow to do that… So probably I need to build new home assistant version or run ubuntu.

Save yourself a lot of pain and just use the LAN - Wifi for a server like this is not recommended.

1 Like

^^ This. Or buy an Intel based Wi-Fi adapter.

I do not need WiFi for the internet, because I have the LAN connected, but some of my accessories run on WiFi like Yeelight.

Are these devices not on your local network then?

I want to connect them directly to HA

I see - so you want your HA to act a Wireless Access Point. Not sure just plugging in a Wifi card will help there - especially with HAOS. There’s a lot to consider - not least setting up a DHCP server on your HA box (and making sure it doesn’t interfere with your existing DHCP server) and that’s just the tip of the iceberg…

Agree.

Anything is eventually do-able, but a big point of HAOS is hands off management and updates. Seems like trying to wedge in an access point and load non-standard kernel modules on HAOS is asking for headache with the next HAOS update.

There is an access point add-on, but you still need an adapter recognised by HA OS