Linux newbie needs help. I lost the haos qcow2.kz file while using mv command

first, I’m a dummy. Second, i’m still adapting to using a screen reader. Plus, I’m linux illiterate. I just installed debian 12 on a headless server and I ssh into it through my mac.

I downloaded the “haos_ova-12.0.qcow2.kz” file on to a usb stick, which I then inserted into my server. I mounted the usb stick to /media/usb and used the ls command to verify “haos_ova-12.0.qcow2.kz” was listed. I created a directory on the server /homeassistant. I then used the following string to move the file to the /homeseer directory.

$ sudo mv /media/usb/haos_ova-12.0.qcow2.xz /homeassistant

Now I can’t find the file. When I use the ls command under /media/usb only “system volume information” is listed with no file. When I use the ls command under /homeassistant I get nothing.

Before I try this again, from the begining, could someone point out what I did wrong…besides everything? Maybe even point out where I sent the file to? Thank you in advance.

Don’t know what I did exactly but I created a file called homeassistant in place of the directory homeassistant. I just deleted and started over as I don’t want to make more of a mess. It’s all good now.

A common mistake for beginners with Linux is to assume you are starting in the root with your command line, but in fact you are most likely in your home directory.
The difference is hard to see on the path listed on the command line input.
When in the home directory your path listed will end with ~$ and when in the root directory your path listed will end with /$

Assuming you just created the home assistant directory with mkdir homeassistant (without / in front of hoemassistant) it will probably be located in your home directory now.
You can change to your home directory with cd ~

1 Like