LIRC + HassIO.... Has anybody working example? Can you share, please? (is freesoft.dev container solution?)

Hello,
I wanted to share my experiences with the LIRC setup after upgrading to Python3.7 (3.6.8, 3.7.3.) - virtual environment. It may be a nightmare and I desperately seek LIRC support in HassIO.

For those who “TL;DR”, please go directly to the last paragraph… :slight_smile:

I really need LIRC support (to receive IR signals), because it turns my HomeAssistant to perfect extender to my Logitech Harmony Hub (LHH) “universal remote” device. LHH supports sending IR signals only, so catching them on HA enables triggering really awesome automation (including MQTT integrations or devices RF433Mhz control over RFBridge). It requires just:
a) adding “dummy IR device” in LHH
b) learning HA the IR signals from “dummy IR device”
c) define automation(s) in HA that will respond to signals learned

Example:
I’m using this to control my RF433 controlled motorized projector screen. Without LIRC I was unable to turn on the whole “Home Cinema scene” with one push (including the screen). With LIRC - I can - LHH sends IR codes for “dummy screen” (“screen down” and “screen up”) and HA converts it to RF433 signals (via RFBridge). Job done. This enables also controlling lights or other devices with LHH or any “universal IR remote”.

I described this to argument why I consider LIRC support as critical(!) for my HA automation.

Because of Raspbian deprecation, I decided to upgrade the whole stack (OS, Python to 3.7, HA to latest version). For OS upgrade I have chosen to switch from “Strech” to “Buster” as Python 3.7.3 is not available by default in “Strech”. This went “nearly” :expressionless: smooth, I was supported by the experience shared below:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/upgrade-to-buster-and-python-3-7-3/147310
and then fixed LIRC issues as described in the other thread below:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/python-lirc-on-python3-7-3/126994/3
Summarizing… It took me… ~6 hours in the night (UGH…) to complete the whole exercise and… I’m a bit frustrated with the effort spent…
End-of-the-story…

Now, I really want to change to Hass.IO for upgrade simplicity but… I’m held by a number of threads posted with a lack of LIRC support in HassIO (I’m guessing that the “Docker layer” may be the blocking point). Unfortunately, I do not have a spare Raspberry PI to play with HassIO installations and containers.

So my questions are…

I think the quite significant part of HA community would be grateful for anyone having HassIO installation and trying to resolve this issue (maybe trying the wrapping to wrap freesoft.dev (linked above) solution into the HassIO plugin?

Regards,

1 Like

I’m also very interested in this. I have Hassio installed on a NUC and would love to add LIRC support.

Hi Drew,
So… if you have HassIO maybe you could try the solution I pointed in my first post (https://freesoft.dev/program/172221229)?

I guess you should be able to configure LIRC in the OS - this part is exactly the same as I needed to do in regular Hassbian release. Then you should have docker already in HassIO so you can start a container for LIRC support as instructed and connect it to your MQTT.
What do you think?

Hi all!
I m interested to run LIRC on HASSOS on Raspberry Pi3 (no Raspbian, etc).
Anyone solved?

tnx :slight_smile:

I’m also very interested in this, I think the best solution is that they preinstall the LIRC packages in HassOS.

That hardware you use?

Raspberry Pi4 pure HassOS

+1 for any guidance on this
I also have a Raspberry Pi4 with HassOS

Same here - Pi 4 and HassOS.
What would be the best way to implement LIRC? An Addon?
It would be awesome to use HA with Argon case and Argon IR remote.

1 Like