Little confused about network_key for z-wave

Hi

I’ve got a question about z-wave’s network key for secure devices. I’ve not got one set in options.xml and I don’t have any zwave: section in my configuration.xml.

I’m running hass.io and simply configured z-wave via the GUI, there was an option for network key, and I believe
it said leave empty to randomly generate one.

Now, due to some issues I’m having with my Yale Conexis L1 Smart Lock, I’m wondering is it really set and are my devices secure??

I can’t find where it’s configured. was it just written to the stick (I’ve got an aeotec z-wave Gen5 Stick)?

I have noticed looking at zwcfg_**.xml in my config directory things like issecured="true" secured="true"so everything would suggest to me that a key is being used and where I’ve done secure inclusions that they really are secure… I just don’t know where the key is and I’m worried I could lose this… also really hoping its part of the problem with my yale lock!

Cheers
Huddy.

I had some similar problems with my stick a few days ago. I configured it via gui and thought it worked. But after that i noticed, that my zigbee stick wasnt working anymore.
Even though i inserted /dev/ttyACM1, hassio used /dev/ttyACM0 which was my zigbee stick. Also i couldnt find the key.
So i removed the zwave config via gui and greated it manually in configuration.yaml. Now everything is working.
But i think you need to create the key either on hassio via ssh to hassOS or like i did with an ubuntu live cd.
Couldnt find a way directly in hassio or via gui.

My stuff is all working, and seemingly securely (if someone can tell me how to tell for sure?). Problem I’ve got now is if I do all this via my configuration.yaml I’ll have to re-add my devices. Wondering if it’s worth taking that pain now whilst I only have a few connected.

Well, all working aside from the Yale Lock :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not sure what you mean by this.

The devices are associated to your Z wave controller not HA. HA just retrieves the info from the controller.

When you include devices thru HA it is just issuing the command to the controller to put it in inclusion mode. The controller then does the rest.

At least that’s my understanding.

HI Mate
I’ve seen this older forum entry and wondered it you can help
I got a raspberry pi Hassio system with a cheap z-wave usb stick ( sigma designs uzb, I think)
I have added a secure key to configuration.yaml and HA can see both the stick and the yale conexis z-wave module ( Assa abloy), but I can’t do anything with the lock: I can see both communicating, but the status never changes - by the way, what is the purpose of the little slide beside the lock and the stick?
I have also tried clicking on the lock hyperlink, but nothing happens
what am I missing?

Any help will be appreciated

I’m seeing the same with my danalock.
It shows ready and everything, but I don’t see a zwcfg file for the lock in the /config file, so I’m not sure if it HAS connected securely.
The danalock is 0.9.6, and the ha is 0.88.2 (it’s running under hassio)
I can see the lock, but it doesn’t reflect the status, and it doesn’t do anything when I ask it to.
I can see messages going forth and back in the OZW log file.

Btw. I looked at this:

But I’m not sure what user the ha is running as, I did see that the group was called audio for the ttyACM0, so I changed that.

Hi man, did you ever solve this? I’m experiencing the exact same issue! :frowning:

Hi @Mattie I removed the integration from configuration, and used the integration instead. There is a 5 step guide that made it work for me.: My Danalock v3 Z-Wave Configuration 5. Step Solution

Thanks! I got it working just by readding node, weirdly enough. Worked fine when I added a final time, I think I pushed the add node secure too many times before just because the green danalock led didn’t stop flashing. This time I just pressed add node secure one time and let the green led flash, it looked like it didn’t connect but it somehow did.