LM393 Light Sensor into Home Assistant?

Hello,

I’ve just bought a cheap LM393 Light Sensor module (see Light Level Sensor - LM393 | MySensors - Create your own Connected Home Experience) which I’d like to wire up to a Raspberry Pi Zero W or Pi2b and use it as a ‘switch’ within Home Assistant.

I am hoping I can use this device to detect the ‘ON’ LED on my Central heating boiler & feed the on/off status into Home Assistant (just need a binary on/off, not an analogue light level value)

I’ve never connected anything to Raspberry Pi GPIO pins before. Can anyone give advice about how to achieve this or direct me to suitable web resources?

Did you ever get this working? I am using the same LM393 on an ESP32 board for a simple light sensor but having trouble getting the yaml files correct. Was hoping you had this worked out.

I don’t think I used the LM393 in the end. I used a bh1750 with the following in my HA configuration.yaml

sensor:

• platform: bh1750
    name: boiler
    i2c_address: 0x23
    operation_mode: continuous_low_res_mode
    sensitivity: 254
    measurement_delay_ms: 400
    scan_interval: 30

Although, I think I had to do some ‘jiggery-pokery’ at the command line to enable the device (I’m afraid it was that long ago I’ve forgotten what I had to do, but it was all somewhere in Google)

Ok thanks!