Local add-on: backup size, installing pre-built image without a container registry

I am new to Home Assistant add-on dev and Docker. I have successfully created a local add-on using this tutorial and creating files under /addons/. It works perfectly, but I have two questions:

1. When I create a backup of the installed add-on, the backup size is 60 MB — compared to < 1 MB for the other official add-ons I have installed. The difference seems to be that my backup includes the Docker image that was locally built when I installed it, whereas backups of other add-ons do not. Why is that? Is it because my add-on is not using a pre-built image?

2. Using these instructions, I managed to pre-build my add-on image. Is there any way to install this image locally without needing to host it in a remote container registry? i.e. Just like we can create a local add-on by adding a Dockerfile, config.yaml, etc. to /addons/, can we also simply copy a pre-built image to /addons/?

Thanks!

Did you ever find an answer to this? I just started to play around with add-ons, and mine are huge. That was not the intention.