Local Camera Recommendations

Looking for recommendations on a camera which is completely local (Doesn’t need any sort of internet connection), PT ideally, which has a mobile app.

This is to be used a baby monitor. Thanks

The simplest would be to have a old Android phone and install IP_webcam. Integrate in HA via android_ip_webcam. Since this is all within the same home network there is no internet involved. and you could use the HA app to monitor.

I should state that I would like this to work on it’s own system away from HA (although HA integration would be nice) so that if HA was to ever have any downtime, the camera would stay up.

Ubiquiti unifi camera. All llocal, so no cloud but you need a computer running the unifi protect software (or buy a cloud key gen2)

I use Amcrest IP cameras, but they also make PoE ones. Can work completely on your LAN, or you can access from outside using normal networking techniques (port forwarding, etc.) They also have a cloud option, or it can work via P2P. They have an app which can work the same way – locally and/or remotely. And lastly, a HA integration is available, but not required.

Sonoff
DrZz’s review

You said baby monitor, which I’m going to assume means it needs to still work with zero lighting. Do keep this in mind… you get what you pay for, and low light performance is the first thing they sacrifice to cut cost (still looks great in a well lit store display, so we get lots of duds to weed through).

Wyze camera

Word to wise…do not give it Web access and limit it’s communication on LAN.

RasPi + USB cam with motioneyeOS also may be good

On a side note… mobile app and fully local are most often mutually exclusive terms. I think what you’ll be focusing on are IP cameras that have a built in webserver… lest you get into setting up an nvr, poe, and the rest. Then, like tmjpugh suggests, don’t give the ipcam any way to phone home.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Will try a few options out :slight_smile: