Local IP configuration

Hello,
I change my router and i lose acess to my home assistent locally. How can i fix that?
Thank you

you dont tell much, but if you have a monitor attached to your HA, you can see which IP- Number it have
( Which IP-number has homeassistant.local ? )
then you go to your router and change the IP so it’s the same
PS: In your Router under LAN/ DHCP , you can also make settings, such as “permanent lease/Manuel assigned” , something like that this IP is “reserved” for HA, you can/should do that with all your IP devices, which you want to “include” in your HA-Setup

If your HA installation (no clue what kind) is using DHCP then a reboot of your HA will make it show up again.

Risk is that ALL his device have new IP numbers, and it will mess-up, and lots of configurations wont work, as some device is configured with “IP numbers from the old Router”
Best Approach is always to using DHCP and the Assign/reserve( Bind to MAS-Address ) the given IP, and export the list from DHCP(Router), then it’s pretty easy to swap/replace a Router ( Or restore after an i.e Re-setted Router

With the info i got, this is a simple solution for his HA being reachable. For all i know he has no IP devices :grin:
Besides with the new router that has likely already happend.

True, which is why he should change settings in the Router, His HA new IP, is most likely a “new lease”, so if he make correct settings ( using the old IP number ), he only have to change settings on the Router, for the IP devices, he have configured in HA, other-vice, he have to “setup” ALL Devices again, in HA ( As these “Plugs/Bulps etc”, most likely is Hard-coded in his HA-Integrations

This is why I always print out/screenshot my reserved IP’s if I am changing routers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. i try this: “In your Router under LAN/ DHCP , you can also make settings, such as “permanent lease/Manuel assigned” , something like that this IP is “reserved” for HA, you can/should do that with all your IP devices, which you want to “include” in your HA-Setup”, but still not work. I have two router and a want to change my home assistent to second router. It´s work well in primary router.

Sounds like your second router is on another IP range. It’s not normal to have 2 routers serving DHCP on a home network - what are you trying to achieve?

1 Like

OK, then i definitely think you should READ the link Charles Provided, and Mentioned, Noone but you knows what you are doing, 2 Router on same network, change Router in your network, a Router and an AP ?

My primary router range is 192.168.1.xx and a second start in 192.168.0.xx…

I assume you are new to networking. How do you expect anything on your primary router to be able to see anything on your secondary one if they are on different IP ranges?

1 Like

Why are you using two routers?

1 Like

Yes I’m new in networking. When i add my secundary router i try to desativated DHCP from secondary router but it wasn’t work well. My idea is putting every smart home devices in secondary router because if i change the provider i will change the primary router.

My idea is to put all smart home devices on the secondary router, because if I change provider, I am forced to change the primary router. The primary router doen’t support many devices.

So is your current 2nd Router attached to the Primary Router ?

Then i suggest you “Swap”, meaning plung you Secondary Router(new ?) into your Wall ( Your ISP Connection )
Configure it to use the same network Range as the “old”( Current Primary ) and you can use “temporary” the "Primary “isp provided router, most likely” ) as an AP.
Why go through the hassle , of having 2 subnets,and WIFI’s ?, if you don’t have much Network knowledge ? ,

The second router is plug with cable to primary router.

It’s not a good idea to have two routers in your home. One router only. One DHCP-server (usually routers do this). If possible you need to setup your secondary router as an access point and use switches (not routers) if you need more ports than your router supports.

So now you have 2 Routers which have no “awareness” of eachothers network-settings ?

I think he means it can’t handle many devices over WIFI ( or at all ) ( CPU/MEM wise )