Local network only push notifications

Hi All,

This may have been answered already but I could not find a relevant thread. My question is

Use Case
Need to send notifications without internet from HA server directly to a local networked (hard wired) ipad acting as a kiosk in my home. Currently using pushover for sending messages but if the internet goes out, I would still want to get messages sent to the kiosk running the HA mobile app (not requiring internet access).

Is this possible and is there documentation on it?

Thanks in advance.

You can use the notify service but if you are running in kiosk (assuming on one web page) why not just make a Button Card that hides when nothing to say?

Another option is to use a local TTS engine and broadcast to the tablet. I use MaryTTS myself with my pi speakers. I get notifications on my phones while on local network without internet and my speakers works as well.

Thank you for your quick response

I am not sure I understand your first comment but the second option is pointing me in the right direction.

Although interesting, I do not have a requirement for speech notifications at this time. Is there an equivalent local only engine / addon which can send textual push notifications to the mobile app running on an ipad from HA without internet?

If you run the HA companion App you can push notifications via the notification service.
This is an example that uses both.

alias: Notification Deep Freezer Door
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.garage_deep_freezer_door_state
    to: 'on'
    for: '0:05:00'
    attribute: value
    for: '0:10:00'
    for: '0:20:00'
condition: []
action:
  - service: notify.mobile_app_glenn_s21
    data:
      message: '{{states[''sensor.time''].state}} Deep Freezer door is open'
  - service: notify.mobile_app_karen_s21
    data:
  - service: notify.mobile_app_ktab
    data:
  - service: tts.marytts_say
    entity_id: media_player.rpispeaker1
    data_template:
  - service: tts.marytts_say
    entity_id: media_player.rpispeaker2
    data_template:
mode: single

As for another form of text push, there is the persistent notification that can be pushed to the notification bell for HA.

Thanks again.

Sorry to belabor the question. So this will work even if there is no internet connectivity because I thought I read somewhere it uses google’s firebase push service?

This is what I use, and I have got notification while internet was down (things may have changed but to my knowledge it still works without internet as long as the devices are on the same LAN):
https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/notify/

This may be more along the lines of what you actually want:
https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/persistent_notification/

Thanks again.

Unfortunately neither worked without an internet connection. I tested with and without internet.

It would be a nice feature to have for locally networked devices running HA companion to receive notifications even when internet goes out.

One of the big reasons I stay away from cloud based home automation systems.

The persistent notification should defiantly work if you can get to any HA page to view it.
The persistent notification states on its wiki that it is a local non-cloud component.
What data are you trying to send in notification?
Do you have a reverse proxy set up to only allow HTTPS and no HTTP (that could potential cause a problem)? I have HTTP for local LAN use and HTTPS for outside local LAN use.
Are you pointing to your local instance or via Nabu Casa?