version: "3.6"
services:
  frigate:
      container_name: frigate
      restart: unless-stopped
      privileged: true
      image: blakeblackshear/frigate:0.8.0-beta1-amd64
      volumes:

That is still the same beta image that we are working with, correct? so a docker-compose up -d should pull the new image this way?

That image wonā€™t be updated. The new version will be published as 0.8.0-beta2-amd64 .

Ok I see. How does one keep up with your scheduled pushes? Your 0.8.0-beta2 tree still has the older image listed in the readme.

On reboot it re-appears right away. Although it doesnā€™t seem to affect how things work.

I do have a few questions on the new version.

1. Iā€™m trying to wrap my head around the new HA integration that works with the beta.
    In the stable release, the mqtt topic of frigate/camera_name/object_name controlled a binary sensor that was either on or off. I used this as an outdoor security motion sensor. When an object was detected, the binary sensor turned on, the lights turned on. When it turned off, it would start a timer to turn the lights off. If this happened while the alarm was armed (either home or away), it would send notifications to our phone with the best.jpg snapshot.

With the new beta and HA integration, this topic now gives an object count. Iā€™m sure I could make an automation that when the count increases, turn on lights, but Iā€™m not seeing a path anywheres that could act as ā€œoffā€ to start the timer to turn off the lightsā€¦

1. I love the idea of 2 streams. Iā€™d like to use the 4k stream to capture images. How do I differentiate the width/height of the 2 streams? I have one stream that is 640x320, the other is 3840x2160. Looking at the ffmpeg settings example, it appears thereā€™s only the option to set 1 width/height.

You can watch the repo on github and tell it to notify you for new releases.

1. When they value is 0, turn off. When the value is >0 turn on. You can make a template binary sensor if you prefer.
  2. The width and height in the config are specific to the stream with the detect role. The other streams can be whatever you want. Frigate doesnā€™t care.

Just thought Iā€™d say a massive thanks for this!
I recently got it running on my setup, all done through HA, integration + addon.
Just shifted my media directory through to my OMV NAS, and thought Iā€™d post here as I saw others having issues with the database locked with saving to a CIFS share, all I had to do to get around that, was to set nolock when mounting the share. I have mine mounted at the Home Assistant OS level, replacing /mnt/data/supervisor/media with my NAS. All appears to be working well now.

My only consistant issue is the bad/broken frames, but I donā€™t think thereā€™s much I can do there?
This all started when I first set it up, and hasnā€™t changed since shifting to the NAS storage.

frigate.video                  INFO    : driveway: ffmpeg process is not running. exiting capture thread...
[h264 @ 0x55b67650f0] left block unavailable for requested intra mode
[h264 @ 0x55b67650f0] error while decoding MB 0 47, bytestream 55451
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x558c93ac10] moov atom not found
/media/frigate/recordings/FrontDoor-20201215124330.mp4: Invalid data found when processing input
frigate.record                 INFO    : bad file: FrontDoor-20201215124330.mp4
watchdog.FrontDoor             INFO    : No frames received from FrontDoor in 20 seconds. Exiting ffmpeg...
watchdog.FrontDoor             INFO    : Waiting for ffmpeg to exit gracefully...
frigate.video                  INFO    : FrontDoor: ffmpeg sent a broken frame. something is wrong.
frigate.video                  INFO    : FrontDoor: ffmpeg sent a broken frame. something is wrong.
frigate.video                  INFO    : FrontDoor: ffmpeg process is not running. exiting capture thread...
frigate.video                  INFO    : driveway: ffmpeg sent a broken frame. something is wrong.
frigate.video                  INFO    : driveway: ffmpeg sent a broken frame. something is wrong.
frigate.video                  INFO    : driveway: ffmpeg process is not running. exiting capture thread...

I do still need to buy a Coral for mine, as my interface_speed is around 300, and everything is quite delayed, so hopefully thatā€™ll improve that.
the setup is:
Raspberry Pi4 8Gb
2x Degangā€™d Wyze cameras.

{"FrontDoor":{"camera_fps":5.1,"capture_pid":43,"detection_fps":1.8,"pid":39,"process_fps":0.8,"skipped_fps":0.0},"detection_fps":3.6,"detectors":{"coral":{"detection_start":1607989860.579606,"inference_speed":278.81,"pid":35}},"driveway":{"camera_fps":5.0,"capture_pid":41,"detection_fps":1.8,"pid":38,"process_fps":1.0,"skipped_fps":0.0}}

The wyzecams and any other wifi camera generally have issues providing a reliable stream for ffmpeg to consume error free. I run dahua wired cameras and often go weeks without a hiccup. There is quite a bit of reconnect and retry logic in frigate to recover in this situation.

1 Like

It honestly appears to run really well apart from those disconnects, so I canā€™t complain at all!

has anybody gotten this to run with like an Nvidia card trying to figure it out

Installed 0.8.0-beta1 and updated my config.yml.

No local port on 5000

7927e60dc1f9:/opt/frigate$ ss -tlpn
State                Recv-Q               Send-Q                             Local Address:Port                              Peer Address:Port              Process               
LISTEN               0                    4096                                  127.0.0.11:34643                                  0.0.0.0:*                                       
LISTEN               0                    128                                    127.0.0.1:5001                                   0.0.0.0:*                  users:(("python3",pid=1,fd=52))

There are a lot of breaking changes with the 0.8.0 release. I found it easier just to rebuild my configuration. The 0.7.X configuration will not work.

Fount the issueā€¦ As I start the container as non-root user, nginx could not be started. A few changes to the compose file and it starts now.

@blakeblackshear hereā€™s an easier method in the MQTT binary sensor that gives the best of both worlds:

Take this, which worked with the original ON/OFF payloads:

- platform: mqtt
  name: "Motion BYC Person"
  state_topic: "frigate/byc/person"
  payload_on: "ON"
  payload_off: "OFF"
  device_class: motion
  availability_topic: "frigate/available"

ā€¦and change it to this:

- platform: mqtt
  name: "Motion BYC Person"
  state_topic: "frigate/byc/person"
  payload_on: "ON"
  payload_off: "OFF"
  device_class: motion
  availability_topic: "frigate/available"
  value_template: >
    {% if value == "0" or value == '' %}
      OFF
    {% else %}
      ON
    {% endif %}

Tested it quite a bit and it seems to work fine. If itā€™s NULL or 0, the binary sensor stays off. Anything else, e.g. 1 or 10 objects detected, and it turns to on.

FYI your work on Frigate has been outstanding. I basically replaced the brains in Blue Iris with Frigate via MQTT integration. It works amazingly well. Thanks much!

1 Like

@blakeblackshear my issue with cameraā€™s jumping around keeps coming back. If I watch the actual source rtsp stream itā€™s good, but through frigate it jumps around to different streams.

I uploaded a quick clip to show what i mean. This is while watching the re-broadcast rtmp stream, I get the same if I hit IP_address:5000/camera_name

Interesting. I have no idea why this would be happening. Frigate does zero processing of the RTSP feed before re-broadcasting it as RTMP. The ffmpeg process streams that directly to nginx without even decoding, so it is basically just a pipe for what ffmpeg read from the rtsp stream. Not a line of code touches that stream.

The fact that it happens at the mjpeg endpoint is also interesting because that is what frigate reads from ffmpegā€™s other output. Iā€™m guessing you are using the same feed for both rtmp and detect.

Because this happens in both places, I donā€™t believe the issue originates in the actual frigate code. Somehow the ffmpeg process is receiving frames from 2 different cameras intermittently.

What type of cameras are these and what does your RTSP input look like?

They are Reolink B800 cameras with the RTSP stream coming from the NVR. And yes, same feed for rtmp, detect and clips. I actually noticed this happening a few days ago with the stable release which is what prompted me to move to the beta.

The RTSP link is: rtsp://user:[email protected]:XXX/h264Preview_02_sub

While watching the feed bouncing around through the mjpeg endpoint on my laptop, I loaded the same RTSP link into Tiny Cam Pro on my phone and itā€™s solid. I then created a camera entity with the same RTSP link and itā€™s also solid. If I reboot frigate enough times, it works as it should until I edit anything in the config again.

What if you setup the same RTSP feed as an ffmpeg camera directly in HomeAssistant? Editing the config on frigate wonā€™t really change anything other than cause ffmpeg to restart. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if running ffmpeg anywhere with that RTSP endpoint shows the same behavior.

Thatā€™s what I mean when I said I created a camera entity.

camera:
   - platform: ffmpeg
     name: Reolink1
     input: !secret reolink1

And itā€™s a solid stream.

?? Now what if youā€™re using a GPU like an Nvidia card would you put GPU instead of CPU and then PCI if you have the answer thanks