Localization (L10n)

It would be pretty handy if you could change the Frontend Language. Especially for people who don’t understand english so well.

I could do the translating for german :wink:

2 Likes

See:

https://github.com/balloob/home-assistant/issues/428

That issue was closed and discussion should continue here, so this is kind of a bump, since I’m not familiar enough with the frontend/polymer to do this myself.

Would anybody be willing to step up to get things started? My parents eagerly await! :blush:

If the language strings would be provided by the backend the following python packages come to mind:

If the language strings should be a frontend only thing, I’d take a peek here: https://github.com/sorrycc/awesome-javascript#i18n-and-l10n.

Hello there!

Sorry if I’m wrong, but any hint on where I could contribute to Portuguese translation?

Cheers,
Antonio Santos

Localization is not implemented yet.

If there will be a doing in this Topic in Future. I’m in helping to translate to german.

Hello,

I have had a look to the suggestions from @hexa. Babelfish looks best IMO. It’s simple and powerful and has built-in language fallback. The basic for i18n could be done the following way:

i18n_default.js: Contains babelfish initialization stuff, a list of supported locales and complete english translations.

The code checks browser’s locale on startup. If it’s found in the list of supported locales, i18n_LOCALE.js is loaded with this locale. It will add the translations to babelfish, enable fallback to (already loaded) english and switch the babelfish locale to the browser’s locale.

If the browser’s locale is not found, the babelfish locale will be english.

So we could have independent translation files for each locale.

Alternative: we create one large file with translations for all supported languages. Advantage: easy to see which translations are missing, easy to remove unused translations. Disadvantage: file can grow very big. Ugly commits if a new locale is added.

Let me know what you think about it. If I find some time, I’ll create a pull request with some prototype i18n code.

Kind regards,
Michael.

1 Like

Hi, for translation itself, I can highly recommend Crowdin.com - for open-source projects it’s free. I translated huge part of Magento into the Czech language and I can say this is really the best translation tool I’ve ever seen. Now we’re using it even for our commercial projects.

PS: I’ll be glad to help with setup and translation into the Czech language.

Any news on this, i love this project and just started to get everything setup the way i want (ill share my setup once its 100% done).
But localization and globalization is still missing.

Looking at Polymer localization it seems the translations would be JSON files. Would it be possible to prepare a template file, containing all the english strings, so the community can start translating?

E.g. swedish.json

"sv": {
    "open": "Öppen",
    "closed": "Stängd",
    "yes": "Ja",
    "no": "Nej",
    "on": "På",
    "off": "Av",

I think the source code need to be change first, the job is not mainly to translate the website. But make it able to handle localization.

Don’t forget formats, date, time and numbers…

I love this feature too, My native not English, i can use English but not all my family member.
I think this is very importance feature and can make HA more wide use

2 Likes

Any news ?
For translation can use services like transifex