LocalTuya and Globe products

Hello!

I am sharing my experience with Globe products (color bulbs and smart plugs) and the LocalTuya integration.

By default Globe will ask you to use their own app. I realized that I could just use Tuya instead. And coupled with Localtuya, I wouId not need any cloud service. I followed the guide from the localTuya integrations and after a few tries, I am now able to completely control my color bulbs and smart plugs.

I was used to buy zigbee devices at $20 or $50… the plugs were 4 for CDN$20 and the bulbs were 4 for CDN$30… very cheap.

Devices:

• 4 color bulbs model 35804 (from Costco)
  • 8 smart plugs model 50329 (from Costco) and seen as 50207 in Tuya

Configuration in localtuya.yaml:

## Smart plugs
- host: 192.168.1.240
  device_id: bedded_dummy
  local_key: q1w2e3r4_dummy
  friendly_name: Tuya_Prise_1
  protocol_version: "3.3"
  entities:
    - platform: switch
      friendly_name: tuya_prise1_on_off
      id: 1

## Smart bulbs
- host: 192.168.1.168
  device_id: aaabbbccc_dummy
  local_key: ddddeeefff_dummy
  friendly_name: Tuya_Ampoule_1
  entities:
    - platform: light
      friendly_name: tuya_ampoule1_on_off
      id: 20
      color_mode: 21 # Optional, usually 2 or 21, default: "none"
      brightness: 22 # Optional, usually 3 or 22, default: "none"
      color_temp: 23 # Optional, usually 4 or 23, default: "none"
      color_temp_min_kelvin: 2000
      color_temp_max_kelvin: 5000
      color: 24

The result for the plug:

The result for the light bulb:

7 Likes

Thank you for this, just picked up a box of the Globe light bulbs today from Costco, and after finding this post, was able to get them added seamlessly.

2 Likes

Any different steps taken to localize the Globe smart plugs compare with the steps to do the same for Teckin please?

Hi All
@chamdemars
Is there still a way to get the Globe bulbs to work with HA?
I saw the fix about with the yaml but it looks like that file, localtuya.yaml has been superseded
Please let me know if there is a way to get these devices on HA.
Thanks

I created that localtuya.yaml and included it in the main configuration file. It’s just the way I choose to manage that, otherwise the main file becomes really big and hard to maintain.

The light bulbs are still working fine on my side!

Simply cannot get it to work in Config/yaml file as per the below. I MUST be doing something wrong.
Your assistance will be greatly appreciated as I have some of these Globe devices that I want to use, but cannot get them into HA. The work fin in the app.

device:

Smart bulbs

• host: 192.1XXXXXXXX
    device_id: bf4ca3a3XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    local_key: #NN8)f.^w8XXXXXXXXXXX
    friendly_name: Living Room Lamp
    protocol_version: “3.3”
    entities:
    • platform: light
      friendly_name: living_room_lamp_on_off
      color_mode: 21 # Optional, usually 2 or 21, default: “none”
      brightness: 22 # Optional, usually 3 or 22, default: “none”
      color_temp: 23 # Optional, usually 4 or 23, default: “none”

Morning
Could you perhaps just send me (blanked out of course) your yaml file that you placed in the config.yaml?
I am really struggling here and ready to give up. When I copy and paste, of course changing the information, the yaml gives me errors and I cant seem to get it working.
Thanks for your time

I was able to get this working by following the steps outlined in this YouTube video:

The APK he uses in the example is the Smart Living application which is from Tuya. The version he used is 3 .6 .1 which was uploaded on November 23, 2018. I found a version of the Globe Suite, 1.0.4, that was uploaded around the same site on the apkpure site. This version had the preferences file for localkeys that are referenced in the video.

The site hosting the BSTweaker tool isn’t active at the moment. I was able to search for the site on the way back machine and download it from there, version 69020.

Sorry for multiple posts but because I am a new user there are restrictions on the number of links per post. Hopefully it is alright to share like this.

Here is the BSTweaker tool download:

https://web.archive.org/web/20230411183925/https://bstweaker.tk/zip/BSTweaker%206/BSTweaker69020.zip

And here is the APK of the old Globe Suite app used to get the local keys:

https://apkpure.com/globe-suite/com.globe.electric/download/1.0.4

And the configuration for lights:

In my configuration.yaml:

localtuya: !include localtuya.yaml

And then I created that localtuya.yaml and add this inside:

- host: 192.168.1.168
  device_id: abcdefghijk
  local_key: a1s2d3f4g5h6_whatever
  friendly_name: Tuya_Ampoule_1
  entities:
    - platform: light
      friendly_name: tuya_ampoule1_on_off
      color_mode: 21 # Optional, usually 2 or 21, default: "none"
      brightness: 22 # Optional, usually 3 or 22, default: "none"
      color_temp: 23 # Optional, usually 4 or 23, default: "none"

Costco in Canada is clearing out the Globe outlets for $9.97 per 4 pack

Edit: pre 2020 Globe devices could be Tasmotized with Tuya-Convert, not anymore but there is a new process.

Globe devices are not using esp chips. So you cannot « tasmotize » them or install esp on them.

But if you’re lucky, maybe they switched to esp recently and the new devices will work, but last year it was not the case.

Just found THIS

It is possible to change the firmware in the current Globe devices which no longer use esp8266 chips but BEKEN chips (bk7231). Use CLOUDCUTTER to run ESPhome firmware and get full integration with home assistant with no cloud, no Tuya. How To

Available firmwares are ESPHome and OpenBeken. These do not work with tasmota.

1 Like

i have tried the config you mentioned above but uts not working for me. HA is asking me for binary sensor tag. can you share your config. how did you find local key?

By going into the latest Localtuya documentation, it seems like the YAML config is no longer supported. Not sure why it still work for me, I guess as long as I don’t touch it it will work.

• Did you integrate your devices in the official Tuya app first?
  • Did you opened a developer account in the Tuya web site?

It looks like the new localtuya integration is easier as it will retrieve the local keys for you when you will provide your Tuya credentials.

Hi there,

Thanks for the great post! I’ve been able to link my light but so far it’s only showing as the standard on/off in HA. How did you get the color wheel and temperature to show up?

Thanks in advance.