Location problems using iOS companion app

Like the others, I’ve been experiencing location issues as well. HA thinks my iPhone is at home but I’m not. I dug into the extremely detailed logs that are provided when they are emailed from the app (as opposed to the abbreviated log that is show in the app). Those logs contained a number of very recent entries containing GPS coordinates that are very close to my actual location, yet the app still thinks I’m at home.

Is there a way to manually force a location update?

I updated the companion app on IOS to 2020.5.2 and this does not fix the problem.

After the ‘zone.home entered’ message, there is a ‘Updated location’ message with the following contend (the x.x and y.y are changed by me):
{
“start_ssid” : “none”,
“event” : “ZoneManagerEvent(region(CLCircularRegion (identifier:‘zone.home’, center:<+x.x,+y.y>, radius:100.00m), inside), zone.home)”
}

This one does not trigger the home location of the associated person. FYI I am sure my phone is connected to the internet at the time of this message.

Hey guys,

i also have problems with the gps location via companion app.
I use the app version 2020.7 (11).
The app has unrestricted access to location, movement, background update.

The app recognize it if i am arriving at home but it doesn’t recognize and push any change of location outside the “wifi area” of my home.
There is no difference if the app is in the foreground with active screen, in the background or totally killed via app-switcher.

I found some entries in the event log (screenshots):
The time the event log fired matches perfect with the moment leaving the zone. But there is an error “Out of Time” (process can’t be finished).

I looks like the app recognize the location changes and entering/leaving zones but it doesn’t push it to my HA.

Dumb question: Do i need the nabu casa cloud or external access via DuckDNS for the location updates?

If you are on iOS 13, I believe upgrading to iOS 14 will fix this. There exists an issue on iOS 13 where the app will not be able to get accurate GPS location when in the background. Restarting the device fixes it.

If you are on iOS 14 already, I’m not sure what is happening here - but the gist of it is that the device is not able to give the app a GPS coordinate. Are you entering or exiting a region without any cellular or GPS or WiFi coverage?

1 Like

iOS is always at the latest version.

I configured DuckDNS now and since that it works =)