Log error for automation

Hi guys,

When trying to restart I got these errors but I’ve got no idea how to fix it.
Any help would be very welcome!

Invalid config for [automation]: expected a dictionary for dictionary value @ data['action'][0]['repeat']. Got None extra keys not allowed @ data['action'][0]['count']. Got None extra keys not allowed @ data['action'][0]['sequence']. Got None extra keys not allowed @ data['data']. Got None extra keys not allowed @ data['entity_id']. Got None. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 15).
Invalid config for [automation]: expected a dictionary for dictionary value @ data['action'][0]['repeat']. Got None extra keys not allowed @ data['action'][0]['count']. Got None extra keys not allowed @ data['action'][0]['sequence']. Got None extra keys not allowed @ data['data']. Got None extra keys not allowed @ data['entity_id']. Got None. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 16).
Invalid config for [automation]: expected a dictionary for dictionary value @ data['action'][0]['repeat']. Got None extra keys not allowed @ data['action'][0]['count']. Got None extra keys not allowed @ data['action'][0]['sequence']. Got None extra keys not allowed @ data['data']. Got None extra keys not allowed @ data['entity_id']. Got None. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 17).

I guess there is an error in your automations.yaml

Given the timing of this, my guess is you recently updated to 0.118.

Open your automations.yaml and find all references to “service_template” and “data_template”. Rename these to just ‘service’ and ‘data’.

1 Like

I thought the newly removed “_template” was still an option and wasn’t a breaking change.

Was that reported as a breaking change somewhere?

Deprecated changes are only valid for the next 2 versions.

This change was announced in 0.115, making it valid for 0.115, 0.116, and 0.117.

Now that it’s 0.118, the deprecated changes are completely removed.

These things should show up as warnings in your logs on boot. I know not a lot of people ever check the logs, especially when everything is working.

[homeassistant.components.group] The 'view' option (with value 'True') is deprecated, please remove it from your configuration. This option will become invalid in version 0.107.0

If this person hasn’t changed anything and these things were working before, my guess is the deprecated calls. If it’s not that…well, they should know what they broke! lol. Or at least paste those automations here.

Where is that written?

This announcement doesn’t say anything at all about the changes being the only option in X number of releases. It specifically says that “this is not a breaking change.” And nothing mentions that it’s a breaking change in the 118 release notes.

You mention I should have a warning in my logs? I’ve got nothing of the sort in there relating to templates, only the typical ones relating to custom components.

If it really is a breaking change in 118 then I haven’t seen too many people making a big deal about it in the release thread as is usually the case for unannounced breaking changes.

1 Like