Logs get flooded with "command.aps_data_indication" warnings

Hello guys,

I am running Home Assistant OS on a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB up-to-date with core 2021.10.6 and OS on version 6.5., booting from a SSD. I use Zigbee via ZHA with a Conbee II as the coordinator, connected by a USB 2.0 extension cord. I got a bunch of aquara sensors, Hue bulbs and Ikea Tradfri switches.
However, if i look into my core-logs in the supervisor panel, the logs get flooded nearly exclusively with the same zigbee-warning, see below. I can not quite for sure say, how long this has happened.

Does anyone know, what “command.aps_data_indication” means and how i could fix this? I just have the feeling that my zigbee-network could get (or already is) unstable.
To add to this, in the past days, one hue lamp and one ikea smart plug did not react to commands at all, but this could be fixed by cutting the power of them for a few seconds. This happened twice, but I am not sure, if it is related or an entirely different problem.

Looking forward to gain some knowledge from you :slight_smile:

2021-10-21 13:38:18 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to ‘Command.aps_data_indication’ command with seq id ‘0x6e’
2021-10-21 13:51:29 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to ‘Command.aps_data_indication’ command with seq id ‘0x9a’
2021-10-21 13:52:39 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to ‘Command.aps_data_indication’ command with seq id ‘0x0b’
2021-10-21 13:54:08 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to ‘Command.aps_data_indication’ command with seq id ‘0x5b’
2021-10-21 14:03:08 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to ‘Command.aps_data_indication’ command with seq id ‘0xad’
2021-10-21 14:14:47 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to ‘Command.aps_data_indication’ command with seq id ‘0x40’
2021-10-21 14:18:47 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to ‘Command.aps_data_indication’ command with seq id ‘0xdb’
2021-10-21 14:21:06 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to ‘Command.aps_data_indication’ command with seq id ‘0x5f’
2021-10-21 14:24:16 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to ‘Command.aps_data_indication’ command with seq id ‘0x31’
2021-10-21 14:28:08 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to ‘Command.aps_data_indication’ command with seq id ‘0x3e’
2021-10-21 14:29:34 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to ‘Command.aps_data_indication’ command with seq id ‘0x92’
2021-10-21 14:32:12 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to ‘Command.aps_data_indication’ command with seq id ‘0x34’

Having the same issue also. Did you manage to find a solution?

No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x04'

Unfortunately not. The issue persists now on Core 2021.11.5 and Operating System 6.6. Still frequent errors.

Ah, a little behind with versioning but I can confirm that it is still there on 2021.12.1

Hi, it’s the same for me, flooded by these warnings…
Try to investigate, but, I can’t figure out at this moment…

2021-12-16 08:11:54 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection] [547660437968] Connection closed by client
2021-12-16 08:12:49 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0xc5'
2021-12-16 08:16:49 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x29'
2021-12-16 08:19:19 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x06'
2021-12-16 08:23:19 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x55'
2021-12-16 08:28:19 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0xf6'
2021-12-16 08:29:49 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x71'
2021-12-16 08:29:51 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x76'
2021-12-16 08:34:19 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x10'
2021-12-16 08:34:49 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x39'
2021-12-16 08:36:49 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0xf2'
2021-12-16 08:38:19 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x75'
2021-12-16 08:38:49 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x9d'
2021-12-16 08:40:19 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x05'
2021-12-16 08:40:21 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x12'
2021-12-16 08:44:49 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x93'
2021-12-16 08:46:49 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x49'
2021-12-16 08:54:49 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0xf1'
2021-12-16 08:55:49 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x39'
2021-12-16 08:58:49 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x40'
2021-12-16 08:59:49 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x9b'
2021-12-16 09:00:49 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0xe6'
2021-12-16 09:01:34 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x32'
2021-12-16 09:04:19 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x19'
2021-12-16 09:04:49 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x3a'
2021-12-16 09:06:49 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0xde'
2021-12-16 09:06:51 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0xe6'

I have the same issue has anyone found a solution yet?

I would’n call this “flooding” as that would correspond to an extremely high rate of occurrences - typically many each second.

I think this is related to the following code:

I suggest that you enable the debug level for deconz:

logger:
  logs:
    zigpy_deconz.zigbee.application: debug
    zigpy_deconz.api: debug

That should provide information about the source address, endpoint, cluster and data received. That should help identify which device is not replying.

From there you may start to understand what is happening: for example, imperfect network connectivity.

I’m having the same issue as well. Running Conbee II with ZHA. Almost all hue lights except for a few Sengled bulbs outside.
Turned on debug logs for deconz but can’t find anything that stands out.

I have same issue. I don’t have deCONZ, only ZHA installed nowadays. However, I did installed ZHA with deCONZ initially because I didn’t knew that those services in HA was incompatible.

Log:

Logger: zigpy_deconz.api
Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zigpy_deconz/api.py:315
First occurred: 17:10:07 (3 occurrences)
Last logged: 17:14:37

No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0xc7'
No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0xd5'
No response to 'Command.aps_data_indication' command with seq id '0x0f'

Anybody can we help us?

ConBee/RaspBee user posted similar issue → https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/62494

FYI, there are also known issues with ConBee USB adapter sometimes needing to be unplugged and reinserted after a restart of HA. If that is the case then might be a good idea to also report to https://github.com/dresden-elektronik/deconz-rest-plugin/issues (?).

However, even before start troubleshooting recommend upgrade ConBee/RaspBee firmware and follow the best practice guidelines here → https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.io/pull/18864 as that will at the very least probably reduce most errors and failures caused by a noisy environment due to RFI/EMI interference. Even if it is not the root cause for this issue, trying to reduce sources of interference should hopefully help further troubleshooting.

Short summary of best practices on how to achieve a stable Zigbee setup and a robust Zigbee network mesh:

Zigbee and especially the Zigbee Coordinator are known to be very susceptible to Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) / Electromagnetic interference (EMI) caused by different signal interfering sources, so most general tips is to try to reduce interference meant to be taken seriously and it is very important to follow those best practice guidelines even if they may sound silly at a glance.

A lot of ZHA and Zigbee2MQTT users and especially those with ConBee/RaspBerry based Zigbee Coordinator adapters have posted in the Home Assistant community forum reporting with similar symptoms or other types of connection problems with Zigbee devices and for many of those issues the root cause turned out to be RFI/EMI interference and the users reported that the problem was resolved by simply getting both the Zigbee Coordinator and devices a bit away from all possible sources of RFI/EMI interference.

1. Upgrade to the latest firmware on the Zigbee Coordinator adapter (whichever adapter you have). For ConBee/RaspBerry see:
  1. Connect the Zigbee Coordinator adapter to a long USB extension cable to get it a bit away from computer and peripherals.
  2. Connect the Zigbee Coordinator adapter to a USB 2.0 port (or via USB 2.0 hub, because USB 3.0 ports do cause interference).
  3. Shield any computers and USB 3.0 peripherals like hard drives by using metal enclosures/cases for computer and peripherals.
  4. Make sure that your Zigbee Coordinator adapter and devices are not close to your WiFi Router or any WiFi Access Points.
  5. Zigbee devices do not have long-range (or good radio signal penetration) on their own so begin by successively adding more always-on mains-powered Zigbee Router devices (a.k.a. Zigbee signal-repeaters/range-extenders) closer to the Zigbee Coordinator adapter and then in each room building outwards to form a stable Zigbee network mesh before adding devices further way. Note! Remember that Zigbee Router devices should be installed with permanent power so they are always available.
  6. Afting adding always-on mains-powered Zigbee Router devices pair all the other devices (Zigbee end-device devices) such as example battery-powered sensors where you plan to have them permanently installed and do not move them around afterwards.
  7. If still have issues change Wi-Fi channel(s) on your WiFi router or WiFi access points to do not conflict with Zigbee → https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/zigbee-wifi-coexistence/
  8. If still have a problem then consider changing Zigbee channel to channel 25 at the risk of then no longer being compatible with older Zigbee devices, also noting that changing Zigbee channel could mean that have to re-pair all or some devices.

PS: By the way, I appreciate it if you guys give a thumbs up to this PR if these guidelines help you → https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.io/pull/18864

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply @Hedda

1.- I have the lastest firmware on the Conbee II: 0x26700700
2.- I have extension cable 1,5m USB connected to Conbee II
3.- Raspberry Pi 3b only have US2 2.0 ports
4.- I don’t have any hard drive
5.- Raspberry and Conbee II are far of my router
6.- I have 3 Zigbee Router devices
7.- I did installed first the zigbee router devices, and after non-router devices. The devices were not moved from their original ubications
8 & 9.- WiFi channel 11. Zigbee Chanell 24

Result: Continuos ocurrences of

No response to ‘Command.aps_data_indication’ command with seq id

Also have it :frowning:

Started having the same issue as well since a few days.
Honestly have no idea when it first appeared and I haven’t changed much into my network.
I tried EVERYTHING from plugging/unplugging, changing 2.4 GHz channel on the router, using a different USB extension cable to updating Home Assistant; also I’m running the latest firmware on everything.

The devices seem to work fine for now but sometimes the coordinator is shown as “offline” in the visualisation tab and the logs get flooded with these messages, which is not really pretty.

Anyone have any kind of update on this?