Long delays and switches getting out of sync - zwave

Hello @ambientsound, can you sustain this post today? I’m having a bit of trouble to make my network stable on a Gigabyte with ubuntu server, docker and hassio 0.91. The z-wave network has 32 nodes and they are all connected relays. It works, but at times the nodes are not very responsive. I am using the aeotec 5th gen stick and multiple brands for the switches (Aeotec, vision, qubino, philio).

1 Like

Hi @jmartinezcdo

I’m not sure what to tell you. I switched from Home Assistant to OpenHAB due to multiple reasons, one of them being this Z-Wave problem. The Z-Wave network is very much more responsive this way, so I’m convinced that it must either be a bug or design error with either Home Assistant or openzwave. Because of other annoyances with HA, I didn’t feel motivated to debug this further so I made the switch.

Hoping you’ll find a solution to this problem, because it definitely is an annoying issue.

2 Likes

@ambientsound Thanks for your response, it does answer a lot and opens more questions and ideas: I understand OpenHAB does not use openzwave, what they use? Is it open source? Is there a way to integrate what they have into HomeAssistant? What is the experience of openzwave in other systems different from HomeAssistant?

Yeah, well, I switched from Openhab after running it a little year with nothing but trouble and heartship.

Anyhow, could we stick to the topic? :wink:

I have the same issue here. A lot of people use zwave I assume, so what is it that we have this trouble?

1 Like

Having the same trouble since some days

+1

Having this with Fibaro Relais and Fibaro Roller Shutters.

Relais on/off has delays of ~8 seconds between multiple different modules.
For Roller Shutters, it happens when setting position. It does NOT happen when just toggling “up” or “down”. Seems to be different message types.

Can you create a graph of your zwave network ?

I had similar issues. When I looked at the map, I saw the majority of the nodes were routed via 2 slow nodes (non +). Moving the stick around a meter fixed all my issues.

Note: i have added all my lights non secure.

Whats the tool of choice for creating the graph?

zwavegraph2 works pretty well.

I’m experiencing the same Z-wave delay problems reported earlier in this thread.

I’m using a Vision Z-Wave Plus USB stick, which is supposed to be supported by Home Assistant and a Fibaro Wall Plug. Sometimes the switching works instantly, other times it takes about 5 seconds.

I was using the very same Fibaro wall plug earlier with a Razberry Z-Wave Plus controller and with Domoticz and it was working just fine (instantly).

I wonder if it’s because of the new vision Z-wave controller or because of the new software (Home Assistant v0.102.2).

It improved a lot for me when not pairing the devices as secure.

Thank you, Andre! I’ve tried that and, yes, pairing the device not as secure solved the problem!

FYI per the Openzwave dev(s), only use the Add Secure Node when the device requires security to provide functionality.

I have the same problem with a magnetic sensor switch which I run through Telldus Telllstick integration. It can take up to 30s for hass.io to change status on the senor but in telldus live I get the status update with no delay. Every other z-wave switch I have with telldus works fine.

Hi.

I had the same problem with my fibaro nodes.
I thought that it was a z-wave problem but now I´ve started over with a fresh hassio install with only shelly wifi products and it its the same problem.
When I switch off or on, the node reponse instantly but lovelace doesnt update the status.

So I dont think this is a zwave problem…

I´m running hassio on linux ubuntu and docker.

Hi again :slight_smile:

So I did a fresh install again on a rasp 2 and it worked.
The dev instance is the fresh install…Strange ?

How can I sort this out ? I dont see any errors in the logs

Look at this video

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgZRSIF72Mnv5W7Teu4RhRhimuXl?e=fNfYVv

I’m 99% sure the problem lies within zwave. All other devices (zigbee, shelly’s, you name it) react instantly. I’m even thinking about replacing all zwave devices by shelly’s. It’s such a relief, and they’re much cheaper.

I tried Z-Wave-to-MQTT, but even from there control panel I’m experiencing these delays. During such delay I noticed that the openzwave log hangs. Ones it continues the light switches on. So it must be some stall within zwave / the zwave network.

Also I tried Z-Way (Z-Wave.Me), really crappy software/interface (bought the UZB stick + license). It seemed to handle the issues far better. In the sense that eventually the light turned on, where openzwave sometimes fails completely.

I replaced all my old non zwave+ by zwave+ devices. Most of them are Fibaro devices, but I also have two Qubino dimmers left. The problem stil remains. Last week I even removed all my battery operated devices (most of them were Fibaro motion sensors). Replaced them by even cheaper Xiaomi Aquara motion sensors (zigbee). The zwave network seems much more stable now, but still not perfect.

Everything besides zwave is stable, cheap and reacts instantly. I tried almost everything, I’m really considering saying farewell to zwave.

Did you guys tried: http://openzwave.com/log-analyzer
Among other things, some RFIssues were detected. But I’m not sure how I can fix these? Which devices can interfere with the lower frequency of zwave devices?

By the way, I’m using a NUC with proxmox and hassio.

I’ll add that I am also experiencing issues with my zwave devices taking way too long to respond.

My setup is hassio on a raspberry pi 3b+. I did a fresh install because my previous installation (on an older pi) had gone bad - the SD card went into read only mode.

I have a Jasco Products 14292 In-Wall Smart Toggle Switch which controls a Inovelli NZW36 1-Channel Smart Plug.

I have the switch setup with Node group associations with the smart plug. Before I had to reset my homeassistant setup, it was working fine with a minimal (<1s) delay.

Now, with the new setup the switch works fine after resetting homeassistant or messing with the zwave settings, but will fall into a state where it takes around 4 seconds to turn the light on. It’s quite annoying…

Have you looked at the routes between the nodes? Search to forum, there is a nice graphical representation of it. It helped me solve my issues !