Looking for 433mhz gateway recommendations (UK, receive Byron SX-1 doorbell)

I’m looking for recommendations on the simplest way to integrate our existing wireless Byron SX-1 doorbell into HomeAssistant.
I understand that this requires a 433mhz receiver and that presents me with a number of hardware options (each of which may / may not be compatible with this particular doorbell):

1. Sonoff RF Bridge flashed with tasmota firmware
  2. RFLink firmware installed on a suitable device.
  3. RFTrx usb receiver.

I’m hoping to avoid kits as I have proved myself to be rather inept at building them, and am never satisfied with the end result (either in function or final form).
This means that I’m leaning towards the Sonoff option to minimise my costs.

However from what I have read online I’m not convinced that the Sonoff is compatible with SX series doorbells, whereas RFLink offers greater compatiblity.

With that in mind, is anyone able to suggest a (UK) source for pre-built RFLink compatible hardware? I do have a spare Raspberry Pi2b available to use if required.

TIA.

I personally use an rfxtrx. I’ve not checked but I suspect it would work with your doorbell as it does with my older byron doorbell.
For it to work once discovered you’ll need to use the event trigger
Check my config

and automation

1 Like

Do you use any other wireless devices already ? (eg Xiaomi Zigbee, etc…)

If so, you could should easily be able to hook up a sensor to the existing bell ringer so that it triggers when activated.

I’ve done this with an old wired door bell pusher and it works great.

If so, you could should easily be able to hook up a sensor to the existing bell ringer so that it triggers when activated.

I have a z-wave mesh in place (and in range) however this is a wireless door bell with two sealed chime speakers paired to it - I’d have to break apart the chime speakers to get access and am not keen on trying to cobble something together myself that will (probably) lead to me breaking the unit.

I’m also hoping to avoid spending £80+ on the rfxtrx gateway.

Fair enough :slight_smile:

I have an RFLink gateway (USB) that I no longer use which supports Byron i believe.
If you want to go down that route I can put it up on flea bay if it helps - I paid £50+ for the kit plus antenna, would be looking for about £20.

I have an RFLink gateway (USB) that I no longer use which supports Byron i believe.
If you want to go down that route I can put it up on flea bay if it helps - I paid £50+ for the kit plus antenna, would be looking for about £20.

It’s very kind of you to offer, but would I be right in thinking it’s an uncased board? I’m aiming for as neat a solution as possible - my cats have taken my entire LAN offline before as one of them likes small spaces and cables :roll_eyes:

No, I have it in a case, there is a cable for the antenna that comes from it (and the USB obviously).
I’ll take a picture when I get home later so you can see what I mean. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here you go:

Let me know if its of any use to you.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures - it’s actually a lot tidier than I imagined.

I will however pass on it for now.

I need to take a step back and think about what I’m actually hoping to achieve with this project. I think a motion activated camera alone may actually be sufficient for now (which arrives tomorrow).

I do however appreciate all the advice and suggestions received.

No worries. Let us know what you conjure up with your motion detection.

Always interesting to see what other people are up to :smile:

1 Like

Hi Swifty - sorry to butt in…which I’m doing for two reasons!

1. I might be interested in your RFLink Gateway for £20 if you are interested in selling it
  2. I didn’t understand the above. Would you mind explaining what you were suggesting? How would having existing wireless devices (eg Zigbee etc) have helped TazUK setup his Byron 433mhz doorbell against Home Assistant? Can they act as a bridge or repeater, somehow? Thanks

Hey, sure feel free to PM if you want any more details about the rflink - its just gathering dust at the moment :slight_smile:

Regarding ZigBee etc, I was suggesting a bit of DIY to utilise the existing comms to integrate the doorbell.
The approach I’ve taken myself was to use a xiaomi ZigBee button (about £5) crack it open and simply wire my doorbell to the contacts for the button (which is safely indoors away from the elements).
This way when my doorbell is pressed it simply “presses” the xiaomi button and I can see it in HA.
Its also possible to use something like a door sensor simply placed by the ringer if you have an old style bell… The magnetic field from the ringer is usually enough to activate the reed switch in the door sensor - which again will be seen by HA.

Oh I see!! Thanks for clarifying. Yes, I’ve done that too with various doorbells etc - I had hoped at one point to do ‘the opposite’ and connect wires to the speaker end of a cheap wireless doorbell and use that as a ready made ‘wireless button’ input in Home Assistant - but try as I might I couldn’t find the solder points that would work activate my little logic level relay which I wanted to have in between the doorbell speaker and my Raspberry Pi. :slight_smile: