Looking for a cheap battery powered Temp/RH% meter

I know the Govee ones integrate but they integrate through bluetooth and I can not get bluetooth connection in those areas. Are there trustyworthy wifi devices?

I know of Xiaomi making temp interfaces. A friend of mine uses them and I haven’t heard him complain since. I am using a Aqara device, which is Zigbee, but cheaper. You might want to have a look into those aswell as long as your targeted area is not too far away for your first zigbee device.
I hope I could help

Using a sonoff temp/hum sensor - zigbee…as I have no ref. for humidity not sure but seems OK.
Temp indications are good though

Off the shelf, trustworthy wifi (battery powered) temp&hum sensors are unlikely to exist as wifi requires quite a lot more power than Zigbee/Z-wave/etc.; however, you can do some crazy stuff DYI sensors with deep sleep on ESP8266&ESP32 (needs a lot of optimization though, including desoldering parts that are not essential, like leds). If you have a power outlet nearby, then an ESP module with something like a DHT22 is unbeatable in terms of performance and price (might throw in a LDR sensor to also monitor light level in the eventuality you would need to do motion lighting dependent on actual light level; or even a PIR sensor for motion detection, IR blaster & receiver to be able to control TV, bluray player, AC, etc.).

Actually, there is no need to have bluetooth connection on the machine with HA and to be near the sensors. If you have wifi access near, you could setup a bluetooth gateway with an ESP32 and ESPHome for the Govee devices: Read Govee Temperature Humidity BLE Advertisements with esp32 and esphome!

Otherwise, Xiaomi does quite nice in terms of both bluetooth and Zigbee sensors (although the Zigbee garden variety are a little more expensive for both sensors and gateway).

Another option is with RF433 Mhz weather station sensors (this one also needs a gateway like RFLink but sensors are quite cheap if needing for a big project with lots of sensors).

1 Like

Thank you for that. I will look into this.
I have Alarm.com and I have it integrated with HA also. Can I get a dsc pg9905 Temp/RH% meter and enroll it into my security system then use those readings in HA as part of a picture elements overlay?

My environment:
Cannabis cultivation facility with multiple grow rooms. I have opensprinkler irrigation and have that integrated as well. I have a picture element panel card built with buttons to start watering and overlays to see if the tables are watering. I would like to get temp/RH% sensors in there to put readings on the picture elements card for micro environment readings. The server with the HA on it is 400 ft from the grow rooms. Z-Wave and ZigBee is not an option unless there is a stand alone Bluetooth, z-wave, or ZigBee controllers that I can enroll through the network into HA. I would need to be able to enroll multiples as the rooms are separated with metal walls that do not allow the signals to travel through well.

I’m not familiar with these units. Are they 433 Mhz? I use a 433 Mhz weather station sensor in the fridge (more or less a Faraday cage) and there are 2 additional walls the signal needs to travel. Apart from the batteries needing more frequent replacement than units at room temperature, everything is fine.

Zigbee and Z-wave are mesh network based so you would only increase the reliability of the network by adding more powered units in a relatively close proximity to the battery powered sensors (but might increase response time, at least for Z-wave :slight_smile: ).

There are quite a few Zigbee network controllers: Database of Zigbee devices compatible with ZHA, Tasmota, Zigbee2MQTT, deCONZ, ZiGate and ioBroker Also, could run a secondary HA installation (cheap one, something like a Rpi and a Zigbee/Z-wave gateway) near the sensors and get that connected to the main HA.

I don’t know much about plant requirements and tolerance to factors but I suggest going all wired if looking for reliability. 5 years ago we’ve setup a project for a glass greenhouse of about 1,200 sqm that has 6 different zones needing monitoring (signal attenuation was not an issue but they needed a fairly reliable solution that didn’t require replacing 100 AAA and 50 CR2032 batteries once or twice per year). We’ve setup a 10/100 switch connecting to 6 Arduino Mega + ethernet shields in water sealed boxes in each zone (power coming from cheap POE splitters over CAT5 cable insulated in cheapest flexible tubing we could find). Then each Arduino has 2 to 5 CAT5 of 10m or less cables in tubing going to sensors (each zone has multiple soil moisture sensors, DHT22 for hum&temp, LDR for light) and relays for valves controlling. Arduinos communicate with HA over MQTT. No component has broken to date and they’re up 24/7/365 (they are doing regular annual inspections to boxes with Arduinos but none of them had malfunctioned and there’s no rust at all on the inside). There are some plans to add several MQ9 and MQ135 (or possibly SCD30) for CO and CO2 monitoring but a complete overhaul of the software part would be needed. Currently, there are some ESP32 POE boards that would’ve come handy as running ESPHome is certainly easier to accommodate changes vs. manually flashing boards each time new components are added.

I have been doing some reading and I think I am going to do a DIY setup. A esp8266 with a DHT11 sensor. I want to also put a BH1750 light sensor on it also. It would be nice if I could also add a CO2 meter but I do not know the capacity of the esp8266 as this will be my first time using it. Can all this be done on 1 board or will multiple esp8266’s be needed?

Yes, a single ESP8266 is sufficient for quite a few sensors. I would go DHT22 as they have better build quality and accuracy compared to DHT11.
Worst case scenario, BH1750 is a digital sensor. If you’re running out of digital pins you can use an LDR module (analogue) for light measurement (needs calibration).
SCD30 (quite expensive) is among the few sensors that really measure CO2 (most just do VOC).