Looking for a suggestion

I have a wall sconce in my daughters room

It doesn’t have a switch, what could you recommend that I get that can be controlled with HA and preferably be able to import into HomeKit. Looking for something cost effective.

Thanks!

How is it currently turned on/off? Is it connected to a wall switch?

you could get something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Enerwave-ZWN-RSM1-PLUS-Wireless-Control-Required/dp/B01G7OD1F8/ref=pd_sbs_60_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01G7OD1F8&pd_rd_r=bd6ba2fd-ba09-11e8-a07a-dda09ccf66a1&pd_rd_w=JLcOK&pd_rd_wg=Jclgg&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=53dead45-2b3d-4b73-bafb-fe26a7f14aac&pf_rd_r=06N0P0F9F0DPCCV1E1VP&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=06N0P0F9F0DPCCV1E1VP
I’m assuming it operates by a pull chain or something. The only problem is that if she turns it off using the pull chain, then the zwave switch won’t be able to turn it back on. Thats one of the types of devices I really wish a vendor would come out with is a replacement for a pull chain switch, or a twist switch that has a two way zwave switch built in.

The other thing you might want to consider would be a smart LED bulb. Again if she turns it off by the pull chain or twist switch, it would disable it. But the smart bulb would be the most cost effective solution.

The easiest thing would be a smart bulb (Philips Hue or others) which can easily be controlled via HA.

But as the others mentioned, it the main-switch is “off” it will stay off. At least with Hue, if you switch “on” it will turn on to the last known setting (Brightness level and color)

It doesn’t have a switch, that’s kind of the issue.

But good for automation, I replaced a older one that was there today that did have a turn switch.

I knew that this did not have one before install but my wife wanted to see how it looked before investing money in a switch/control. The light was on sale for $16.00 at Lowe’s. My wife likes how it looks so I’m looking into ways to control it. I can’t use Hue bulbs because it’s not a typical bulb (g9, or something like that)

you could retrofit the inside replacing the socket with one that would work better…

No, this one was here when I bought my house in 2008, it is hard wired in. The old fixture had a twist switch the new one does not.

However I have a idea, I have a junction box that I’m going to place in the wall behind the sconce. Then I have a extra dimmer switch that connects to the Hue hub (Majes the hub think it’s a bulb) place that into the box and wire the lamp to it. There would be enough room to mount the sconce on top of the switch and I think that might do what I need it to do. Hopefully!

I’m going to give it a go tomorrow after work.