Looking for an accurate water flow meter

Hi @Anto79-ops ,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. So just one clarification.
I never integrated this with my ADC account at all. I’m actually in an area without constant internet, this is why I needed a water meter, which can work without Cloud at all, and didn’t buy Moen FLO, as that requires cloud, and not local HTTP access.

So I’ll build that consumption sensor, you are right I noticed the consumption pulses are 0.0.
Further questions for you:

1. Can you help me with this, so it records it in Gallons per Min VS Liters per min? (I’m not very good at scripting yet).
  2. Yes, I haven’t yet tried the calibration in config, as it seems to be doing OK. (I just have 12 hours of data so far).
  3. And if you want me to be another guinnea pig test person with Zwave JS, happy to be available.

Here are my screenshots.

Great!

This valve would be perfect for you, @Keith3

The good news is, it works all locally, regardless if HA is up or down.

At the very least, I would recommend that you enable some of the options. At the moment, its not protecting you because the options are off.

you can also automate these buttons/settings for when you leave the house, for example. And if there is a leak, the entity “water leak detected” will show up as “wet”. You may want to make an automation ion on that. If you set all the parameters to close the valve on low-medium-high flow rates, it will just do it automatically, but you won’t know if you don’t create that notification automation. Also, if you you have water leak sensors, you can automate that part also, to close the valve if a water sensor is detected as wet.

As for the templating of the sensor, yes you can easily convert the units to Gallons per Min, but I’m not an expert either. Reading the integration Riemann sum integral, it does not look like you can create a value_template for this, so you may have to create a second template sensor that uses the above sensor as input and then do that math for the conversion.

Sorry, this does not sound easy but may I recommend that you ask the question in the HA Discord channel in the template channel? They would definitely be able to help you with this. Discord

as for contributing more, that would be great. Here’s the original discussion

feel free to add there what you’ve experienced etc. AlCalzone was the one who helped me use a Zniffer to get the commands.

Let me know when you get your template sensor up and running!

1 Like

Thanks @Anto79-ops ,

Yes, I had to toggle those automations off, since at the same time my plumber was installing a new Water heater and while filling that, this triggered an alarm :slight_smile:

Ok, I’ll ask at the Discord Channel. I also started a thread here just specifically for SWM-150

For the template sensor: Once I get that sorted, I’m assuming that’s the one then I’ll use in the Consumption Sensor?

no problem. @Keith3

Ok, I went into my templating, and here’s exactly what I did to get the consumption sensor working with the ADC-SWM-150 flow meter.

1. Create integration sensor as shown here:
#Water Consumption SWM
- platform: integration
  unique_id: [redacted]
  source: sensor.smart_water_valve_meter_water_flow
  name: water_consumption_swm
  round: 2
  method: left
  1. use the customize.yaml to add the extra information so that the energy dashboard can pick up the consumption sensor. The file you have to add this information is located in /config/customize.yaml`
# Add an entry for each entity that you want to overwrite.
sensor.water_consumption_swm:
  device_class: water
  state_class: total_increasing
  unit_of_measurement: L

what #2 does, is add/overide anything that the original sensor is reporting. For example, the sensor created in step 1, does not have a device class, state class, etc. ,but step 2 now adds that to the sensor so sensor.water_consumption_swm is now a valid sensor for the energy dashboard.

Maybe you can add a value_template to the customize,yaml for the sensor? I’m not sure. Its definitely easier for me because its already in the native units, but with a little bit of work, you can get what you want.

1 Like