Looking for home presence automations tips, etc

So my wife picks up the kid from daycare around 4:00PM everyday.
I am usually not home.
I want to setup automation so that when she is sensed home, lights come on, etc.
I already have trackers setup, etc. Just wondering if the below flow would be the best blueprint to do it or is there a better way?

If it works, then it’s a great way!

I do something similar in which I add people to a group called group.all_people, then use a trigger:state node to check that the group’s state changes from not_home to home. Then, if it’s dark, I turn on the kitchen lights. By using a group, it takes the state of any person in the group. This means it’d turn on for you as well if you return home, but your wife is not home. Works like a charm and hasn’t failed me in 2 years.

Here’s the code you can import to node-red. Note that you’ll want to tune the Is dark? check. I have it start at sunsetStart and stop at 10pm.

[{"id":"b9ee15aa.832658","type":"trigger-state","z":"83deaef7.d3424","name":"Home","server":"74d5538b.e0092c","exposeToHomeAssistant":false,"haConfig":[{"property":"name","value":""},{"property":"icon","value":""}],"entityid":"group.all_people","entityidfiltertype":"exact","debugenabled":false,"constraints":[{"id":"z9fwzvc90xn","targetType":"this_entity","targetValue":"","propertyType":"current_state","propertyValue":"new_state.state","comparatorType":"is","comparatorValueDatatype":"str","comparatorValue":"home"},{"id":"9dpg7jwjla9","targetType":"this_entity","targetValue":"","propertyType":"previous_state","propertyValue":"old_state.state","comparatorType":"is","comparatorValueDatatype":"str","comparatorValue":"not_home"}],"constraintsmustmatch":"all","outputs":2,"customoutputs":[],"outputinitially":false,"state_type":"str","x":210,"y":1440,"wires":[["3669ce.66caf632"],[]]},{"id":"3669ce.66caf632","type":"time-range-switch","z":"83deaef7.d3424","name":"Is dark?","lat":"","lon":"","startTime":"sunsetStart","endTime":"22:00","startOffset":0,"endOffset":0,"x":380,"y":1440,"wires":[["4f3dc5ee.7c8cfc"],[]],"outputLabels":["yes","no"]},{"id":"4f3dc5ee.7c8cfc","type":"api-call-service","z":"83deaef7.d3424","name":"Kitchen lights","server":"74d5538b.e0092c","version":1,"debugenabled":false,"service_domain":"switch","service":"turn_on","entityId":"switch.lightswitch_kitchen_cans","data":"","dataType":"json","mergecontext":"","output_location":"payload","output_location_type":"msg","mustacheAltTags":false,"x":580,"y":1440,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"74d5538b.e0092c","type":"server","name":"Home Assistant","legacy":false,"rejectUnauthorizedCerts":true,"ha_boolean":"y|yes|true|on|home|open","connectionDelay":true,"cacheJson":true}]

@paulstronaut

How do I add a group in HA? Right now I just have 2 ‘People’ setup.

You need to edit your configuration, then restart HA https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/group/

That’s exactly the same as I do it. Put all people in a group.

I use javascript statemachines to manage my lights, because it gets quite complex rather quickly. This also prevents lights being turned off while leaving while turning some of them back on to mimic being home.