Looking for temperature sensor

Hi
I look for a cheap temp. sensor, that I can install in every room, over 3 floors, with just one hub.

• max. 40 Euro
  • Wireless
  • battery powered
  • no DIY.

Over three floors with one hub you are going to need a mesh networked sensor. Z-wave is out due to your price point and the fact that battery devices dont act as repeaters. So that leaves zigbee. Something like this (works with SmartThings hub apparently):

looks like they are out of stock everywhere.
but I found something simular.

any experience?

I don’t use zigbee. Someone else here will comment.

Also check out this: https://xiaomi-mi.com/sockets-and-sensors/aqara-temperature-and-humidity-sensor/

Make sure they actually act as a mesh network. Some battery devices don’t to increase battery life.

What do you use instead? z-wave?

Nearly all my sensors are wired, DHT22, BH1750, standard PIRs etc… I am planning on some zwave light switches at some stage.

For battery powered Z-Wave temperature sensors you’ve got a mountain of choices, and some will be under €40 when they’re on sale.

1. Sensative comfort strips
  2. Fibaro multi-sensor (also does motion and light)
  3. Aeotec multi-sensor (also does motion, light, and humidity)
  4. Philio multi-sensor (also does motion and light)

You’d also need a Z-Wave controller, and powered Z-Wave nodes to build the mesh though. The Aeotec units can be USB powered, so in that configuration would provide the mesh you require.

1 Like

But battery powered z-wave devices dont act as mesh repeaters. That could be a problem over three floors with only one hub.

Have someone tested bluetooth mesh?
I’ve only tested BT5 long range works great, I have a signal through all 3 floors, but I can’t find any devices supporting this yet.

Fibarro has door sensor that allows connection of dsb1820 and a binary sensor if desired.

That is also zwave battery powered device that will not act as a repeater.

Which would be why I said:

:wink:

I ordered some Sonoffs TH10
Mesh networks are great, but in the case of adding just battery driven sensors it doesn’t work.
And why would I buy any ZigBee or Z-Wave actors if most of them are ridiculous expensiv. (Switzerland)

Xiaomi temperature sensors cost about 15 eur (10 if you don’t need barometer and get previous version), use zigbee and work flawlessly with HA. You have to purchase a zigbee gateway, though (about 25 eur).

I just want to point out a thing about Zigbee and bring this to a conclution.
Although Zigbee has a standardization and every device could talk to each other, it doesn’t mean they can. It’s like every Wifi device, you can ping them, but only with an protocol like Modbus, Bacnet or MQTT you can actually communicate with them.
The Problem in this case is: Although I have some IKEA lamps, I would still need the xiaomi gateway and their api to read my Sensors. Every Company uses their own language, what makes difficult to know, if they even work together.
The Result is:
I have to buy a Xiamo Gateway and Ikea Gateway for ever floor, just because the can’t talk to each other and the Zigbee signal doesn’t get trough my floor. This leading me to spend about:

• 4x 15$ Sensors
  • 4x 15$ lamps
  • 35$ IKEA gateway
  • 25$ Xiamoi Gateway
    = 180$ for light and sensors in 4 rooms.
    = ~600$ for 3 floors (number of lamps vary)

same thing with th10 module

• 13$ for every room (Number of Lamps doesn’t matter.)
    = 156$ for not exactly the same, but in my opinion a better solution.

Here’s why:
The time it takes to install IKEA lamps is about the same I need to flash a Th10 and install it. (If you don’t have any patience, buy Phillips)
The real advantage of having a sonoff with the Tasmota software on it is: The communication is in your hands. No absolutely useless switching over a cloud. You don’t need to download an app and make an account. All informations are yours. even when your internet is down all automations still works. In my case this very important because I use the temperature sensors to controll my heating system.

If you don’t agree with me, I would love to hear your aspects of this. Do you have a good working solution for complete building automation Systems? I would be really interested in how you solved all problems.

1 Like

A very late reply… I’m investigating my next purchase for my home assistant setup and I’m researching the best temp sensors available to add that actually works (ie not 433mhz devices) as sensors for virtual thermostats.
You don’t need to buy separate gateways for IKEA, Hue, xiamoi etc. Just buy a generic zigbee dongle like Conbee that can read/control all of them!
For now this seems like the best solution. Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

I thought about that, there are some that have already done it and it should work. However, Ikea and xiaomi are now working together. I’ll wait for their first serie and review it.

Anyone found a WiFi temperature sensor?
Outlet powered is best. Need to detect temperature in a remote room which is within WiFi range, but out of range for Zwave or Zigbee.

Suggestions?

This is better for you