Looking for thermostat recommendations

Can anyone recommend a good HVAC thermostat that works well with Home Assistant? My wife wants to be able to turn the heat on in the morning from our bed and I would like it to be non-cloud based.

I’ve found what I think may be two possible candidates:

GoControl GC-TBZ48

Honeywell TH6320ZW2003

FYI: I have a heat pump system in my home with emergency electric strip heat for backup if that helps.

Am I on the right track?

I am using a GoControl GC-TBZ48. It is Z-Wave.

Auto heat/cold
Remote thermometer can be used
Totally local

The thermostat is in the hallway. Before putting this in, the living room was always off and not comfortable. Using a Zigbee thermometer in the living room, I have an automation in HA that sets the ‘current’ temperature for the thermostat.

I also have automations that set the wanted temperature for both day and night. Basically, morning and night scripts. I get up earlier than she does. So, I run the morning script. She runs the night script. We always keep it on heat/cool. The morning script sets the heat/cool settings up and the night one sets the heat/cool settings down.

These could be done by time, a button, etc.

It’s surprising how many times this comes up, there must be a dozen answered posts for this question.

For me, I use the Honeywell T6 Z-Wave version.

1 Like

@jeffcrum

Thanks for the reply. How difficult it was to install? Any surprises?

-Wes

@CO_4X4

I’m new to this forum and quite unfamiliar with its organization. I have done several searches and came up empty handed. Is there a specific sub-forum or category or tag or whatever that I should use to locate the info you say is there?

-Wes

It’s just a matter of searching, really.

https://community.home-assistant.io/search?q=best%20thermostat

Nah, it was a breeze.

I just matched the old thermostat wires to this one. I stole a jumper from the old and put it on this then hooked all the others up.

Also, if you don’t have a C wire for power, this will take a battery too.