Looping a media file to a cast node

I have been playing with the google cast to play a media file of Rain sounds. If you tell the home mini to play rain sounds it loops it. No probs there. you can here it get to the end then start again.

I can get it to play using the google cast via the home mini. However I have 2 problems. When you send the command you get a beep. Thats not really a problem for the first time. But when it runs its course and finishes, if you start it again via that same command at the end or during the playing you get another beep.

Does anyone know how to get it to loop without beeping each time? Or how to stop the beep completely? If I could do that I simply could send the command every 10 minutes etc

Hi,

A long time ago I followed a topic with similar subject. Not exactly your case but maybe you can found there some tips.

Yes that looks ok. Just tried it and it seems to work. Set volume to 0, inject the url and then set volume back up and its good. Length of mp3 is one hour so will simply refire it each hour.

That will get me out of trouble. Thanks for that.

Yes well will test it in place later but initial tests show it works. Set the volume to 0, send the mp3 url and volume of 1, then send volume 75 and it seems to work.

I was sending just the url in the second step but when you sent the 75 for volume it wasnt heard. Looking at the status it was muted. Sending a 1 as the volume in the same step as the url seems to unmute it.

I use googles minis around the house as media and announcements and echo spots as voice input. The mini’s are in 3d printed ceiling mounts with power points in the roof. So in this case just to be different… I use a voice command to fire a routine via Alexa that turns various bits and pieces on in HA. One of those fire node red to fire the above to play the media file.

Not sure if this fits your use case 100%, but figured I’d share a potential solution.

I have a google mini playing looping mp3s without the “turn-on/BWOMPT” sound - but instead of using the cast node, I’m using a Call-Service node calling “play_media.”

Instead of running on a schedule, I have an Event-State node that triggers on state change. If the state != playing, it calls the play_media service again.

You’ll have to put some controls to actually stop playing the mp3s, for if you actually stop or pause the player, it’ll just resume on it’s own. This is actually part of a vacation mode for me so that weird behavior didn’t bother me.

Hope this helps.

I will have a play with that. But I found another well not so perfect solution and one that also stops the kthump beep.

Using a cast node I send a volme 0 command, wait 5 secs and then send the url of the mp3 I want which is 60 minutes long. then 5 seconds after that I set the volume to the required level again. I do this every 55 minutes…