Lost access to Home assistant CLI : OCI runtime exec failed

Great, so auto/full UI backups comes in handy sometimes :wink: , i’ve only few times used a backup( from local-storage auto-backups) after an upgrade, waiting for a “fix” which usually comes within days/weeks
But as im also running HAOS in VMWare, on both Windows and Debian, i occasionally copy the whole VM folder, fortunately never had reasons to use this “safety-precaution” :slight_smile:

Thanks, running HAOS on Virtualbox over Win11 but I will probably move it to a NUC (straight HAOS install, no VM/Proxmox as It will be fully dedicated to HA).

Found an Intel NUC i7 16gb ram, 480gb HD for 100$ which seems more than enough based on my research.

Open to comments/suggestions.

Thx

1 Like

To be honest i think an i7 is “overkill” for a barebone HAOS, and not sure how it will “handle” such as CPU-Fan etc, risk is it get hot and uses unnecessary much power to cool down.
Also 16gb ram, and 480gb HD ?
You want SSD or NVMe or similar , for sure !, what ever fits in the NUC , it’s a low investment, then use the HD, for “temporary storage” for whatever
( HD uses way more power than i.e an SSD, And SSD is cooler, meaning no need for Fan)
But if you want to max Speed go for NVMe, if possible ( Yeah more expensive ! )

A 128GB SSD is way enough for HA alone, You get that for around 20-30$, i wouldn’t uses same “storage” for i.e video recordings, music or video files etc, you can mount a storage in HA for that, much safer/stable/faster for HA

I had HAOS in Windows10 on an older MSI laptop i7(8core) 8GB Ram,128gb SSD and 128gb NVMe ,only dedicated for HA test-environment
( Now it’s running HA in VMWare on Debian, + a webserver, local ! )
My test environment, is now on an old Dell latitude E5530 I5(4core) ( Windows10 + HAOS ) So same setup, different hardware, uses less than half power.
i7 average about 25wat, i5 average about 10-12watt ( I know, not much to “bargain” about :wink: , thou still about 30$ a year ( price of a 128gb SSD :crazy_face: )

I’ve tried Proxmox, but found the “same” + few other disadvantage, Windows and Debian is more “adapted” to handle various CPU/Fans hardware

But i have for more than half a year consider “swapping” my test-environment ( the old i5 ) and installing HAOS bare on that, and see how it acts( Maybe i wait for Your commends/experiences :wink:

I have no experience of NUC’s , however i believe they should be less power consuming than and old Laptop( ive tried 3 different + a PC ) , if/when i eventually get hold of a NUC or similar i.e Blue or whats coming from NB, i would use that dedicated to my heating/ventilation system

LOL, yeah i have too much running here, guess that’s why i “think” in Watts :rofl:

Thanks for the feedback, I have passed on the NUC as I will probably repurpose an old laptop so I can benefit from the battery backup. More to come.

1 Like

I live on the countryside, those old laptops have saved me quite some problems, power interruption is common, either by storms, heavy snowfall Or when i “fiddle/working with” other high-power-equipment(uppps Darkness !, internet down … changing/flip fuse, and HA is online again, and eventually all included devices, within short)