Lost all connections with Error updating Home Assistant Core

System setup: HA OS on a Raspberr Pi3

Current Symptoms:

• I don’t have any meaningful access to the installation. Web Ui is broken and it doesn’t show up on the network.

• Pinging isn’t working either. Ping request could not find host homeassistant.local. Please check the name and try again.

• I’ve tried to hard reboot multiple times and from the output it fails on starting the overlay setup. It also runs a couple of startup jobs. In the end, I’m stuck at a screen with “CLI not starting! Jump into emergency console…”

• I cannot press anything on the keyboard to go anywhere to any secondary/ alternative screen.

• I have been able to recover some log files, which is how I know the updated got messed up. This is what I have

2024-05-30 18:15:40.488 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection] [546901995072] Error updating Home Assistant Operating System: 'OSManager.update' blocked from execution, system is not running - freeze
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/update.py", line 213, in async_install
    await async_update_os(self.hass, version)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/handler.py", line 59, in _wrapper
    data = await funct(*argv, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/handler.py", line 226, in async_update_os
    return await hassio.send_command(
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/handler.py", line 593, in send_command
    raise HassioAPIError(error.get(ATTR_MESSAGE))
homeassistant.components.hassio.handler.HassioAPIError: 'OSManager.update' blocked from execution, system is not running - freeze

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 239, in handle_call_service
    response = await hass.services.async_call(
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 2543, in async_call
    response_data = await coro
                    ^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 2580, in _execute_service
    return await target(service_call)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 971, in entity_service_call
    single_response = await _handle_entity_call(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 1043, in _handle_entity_call
    result = await task
             ^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/update/__init__.py", line 162, in async_install
    await entity.async_install_with_progress(version, backup)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/update/__init__.py", line 466, in async_install_with_progress
    await self.async_install(version, backup)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/update.py", line 215, in async_install
    raise HomeAssistantError(
homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: Error updating Home Assistant Operating System: 'OSManager.update' blocked from execution, system is not running - freeze
2024-05-30 18:18:59.842 WARNING (Thread-2 (_thread_main)) [homeassistant.components.mqtt.client] Disconnected from MQTT server core-mosquitto:1883 (7)
2024-05-30 18:21:31.960 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt.light.schema_json] Invalid color mode 'xy' received for entity light.sofa_lamp
2024-05-30 18:21:40.762 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation.toggle] Toggle: Already running
2024-05-30 18:22:32.390 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio] Failed to to call /supervisor/info - System is not ready with state: shutdown
2024-05-30 18:22:39.891 WARNING (Thread-2 (_thread_main)) [homeassistant.components.mqtt.client] Disconnected from MQTT server core-mosquitto:1883 (7)
2024-05-30 18:23:28.925 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio.handler] Client error on /core/update request Server disconnected
2024-05-30 18:23:28.936 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection] [546901995072] Error updating Home Assistant Core 
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/update.py", line 304, in async_install
    await async_update_core(self.hass, version=version, backup=backup)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/handler.py", line 59, in _wrapper
    data = await funct(*argv, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/handler.py", line 256, in async_update_core
    return await hassio.send_command(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/handler.py", line 614, in send_command
    raise HassioAPIError
homeassistant.components.hassio.handler.HassioAPIError

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 239, in handle_call_service
    response = await hass.services.async_call(
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 2543, in async_call
    response_data = await coro
                    ^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 2580, in _execute_service
    return await target(service_call)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 971, in entity_service_call
    single_response = await _handle_entity_call(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 1043, in _handle_entity_call
    result = await task
             ^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/update/__init__.py", line 162, in async_install
    await entity.async_install_with_progress(version, backup)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/update/__init__.py", line 466, in async_install_with_progress
    await self.async_install(version, backup)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/update.py", line 306, in async_install
    raise HomeAssistantError(
homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: Error updating Home Assistant Core 
  • All I have is partial backups that are made before the updates. So even after installing HA OS on a new SD card and trying restore it isn’t going anywhere.

What is that I can reasonably do? I had painstakingly set up a bunch of automations and integrations and currently nothing with even Zigbee is working at home.

I have had a simulatie issue with 2 updates in the recent months. With me the issue seems to be the on boardwifi. I am currently running HA on pi with a LAN cable.

Does your HA work when cabled?

Actually, when I start to boot, the first error I see is “No Ethernet found”.

And I guess, that’s where the connection issues come from. Even though I have the ethernet cable plugged in and both lights are blinking :grimacing:

Apparently there are issues with old broadcom firmware… i havent worked out how to update it yet, though :confused:

My issue are wlan0 specific, though…

If you know how to update the underlying firmware, you should be able to do that with a USB stick with the files on…