Lost all ESP devices with 0.92b1 of HA !

Hi

I guess it’s probably not really a bug but something not yet finished as I’m running beta both of HA (0.92b1) and of ESPHome hassio plugin (1.12.2). Since update of HA at 0.92b1, I have lost my two ESP devices in HA ! ESP themselves are still working perfectly, I see them online in ESP dashboard but in HA they disappeared completely and I have these errors in HA logs:

and this too but not sure it’s related with ESP (might be an issue with an other add-on in Hassio !
Screenshot_20190420_120802
Someone else with same problem or idea what to do ? (out of waiting next update of ESPhome add-on and/or HA to get problem to disappear ?).

Thanks

Vincèn

oki, so it’s definitively the next preview release of HA that breaks something in ESP API integration ! Downgraded back to latest HA stable version 0.91.4 and problem disappeared :wink:

Have you given this feedback in the beta channel?

Nope as I had no clue till your message where to report feedback for such “issues” that’s why I posted it here and not sure if it’s HA or ESP or both issue :wink: As it’s Discord for that I won’t be able to report, I don’t use that tool that is just so much lost of time !!

1 Like

That’s the official reporting location for beta testers. It’s monitored by the developers. You want the issue fixed?

Report it there.

1 Like

yep, well it won’t be reported and fixed then ! I have given up with Discord since a while !

So why are you running beta versions?

(I agree Discord is a pain).

for the fun to try it and in the past as I wanted to try new features that were only avalaible in beta version yet ! For now have switched back to regular version :wink:

Thanks I still don’t understand why so many companies/organisation wants to use that for support ? it’s so unproductive at my eyes (forum, you have history and everything but it’s probably too old fashionned !). I still have noticed recently two companies that at least understood that and moved away from Discord for support and went back at classic forum :smiley:

1 Like

@vincen, had the same error in 0.92.0b2.
One of my 2 esphome nodes worked, the other not.
Deleting the unavailable one in integrations and re-addeding it fixed the issue.

BTW, i reported this for b0 and b1 also on discord, but nothing happend. :frowning_face:

I’ll third that.

Trying to get help there for some massive error spamming my logs and I really have no good idea how to keep track of my thread there so I’ve resorted to just keep checking the feed every few minutes in case someone replies with assistance and I don’t want to miss it.

1 Like

Yes. Home Assistant changed something. The dev has already updated his code, 2 line changes in home Assistant integrations. I followed the diffs posted user issues and my esphome stuff all came back.
Dev notes it’s a temporary fix, but it seems you’ll need to wait for the next minor release of home Assistant if you don’t want to edit the python files.

I thought all beta discussions were supposed to be on Discord.
A while back somebody posted about upcoming issues from betas and confused a few new users who were trying to debug their configurations.

The last time I reported something broken by a beta on discord they told me to open an issue, which I did. 4 releases later… It’s still broken. So… I’m not sure that’s the way to go.

So if you hate discord, open an issue for the component on Github. You find the bug, being a good citizen it behooves you to report it. HA is a community effort and if you can’t be bothered reporting the problem how is anyone supposed to do anything about it? I have been running betas for over a year and always report issues… how else do you think things get fixed? Or do you always just pass the responsibility onto someone else? If this gets released with this bug, lots of people will be affected when you could have been part of the solution.

3 Likes

Actually, before opening up a GitHub issue or even posting on Discord, you should check that there isn’t already an existing issue or a pull request. I agree that Discord is not a great place for these things, it’s a chat platform so it’s far too easy for stuff not to get seen by the right people (I had posted on Discord as well).

1 Like

It is useless arguing whether Discord & Github are the correct platforms. They are part of the rules agreed to when testing HA.

Those who set up the project get to choose. Whenever you set up yours, then you get to choose.

3 Likes

Thanks @DavidFW1960 for listing beta report channels and will use Github (well check first if similar problem is not already posted) and post if it’s a new bug :wink: