Lost all of my ZWAVE devices after an update

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f738f8aa098>

Hi,so before I remove all of my nodes and readd them and reinstall everything again, is there a way I can kick my AEON Labs ZW090 Z-Stick Gen5 EU back into action. It seems to know about all of the neighbours.

Its the update to HomeAssistant 0.112.3

running HassOS 4.11 on a Raspberry Pi4.

strange as it may sound, you need to insert a cheap usb 2 (not 3) hub between the RPi4 and the AEON labs dongle.

Thanks for reply. Sorry, was already doing that. Everything was working…

I assume you have already restarted again?

Try just removing the zwave integration from your config, restart, and re-add it and restart again.

It sounds more like a HA issue not an issue with your zstick. The nuclear option (remove/include all nodes) is usually not a necessity.

Gosh, talking about needing a prayer mat, and facing East…Anyway finally got it to remove the Zwave integration, an entry in configuration.yaml was stopping it removing it. re- adding it now, not hopeful

No joy. I may reinstall homeassistant from scratch. Would I have to remove and re-add in each node?

Why would you want/need to do that? Again the zwave configuration as far as paired nodes is concerned is on the stick not in HA.

Do you have some indication that the nodes aren’t paired with the zstick? Apparently the zstick knows about the nodes or it wouldn’t have any neighbors. And since everything was working before unless there is a problem with the stick itself then the devices should already be paired with the stick.

Have you looked in the zwave log to see if there’s anything in there that might lead you to a clue as to what’s going on?

well, i bit the bullet and removed and re-added the nodes. They are back. Bizarre I know because I take your point about the configuration being on the stick. Looked like the stick wasn’t talking out to the zwave network, I didn’t factory reset the stick so that was untouched. Specific logs have gone now.

I’m not sure how you could do that if the nodes weren’t showing up in HA if you didn’t factory reset the stick since they need to be in the nodes list of the zwave control panel. :thinking:

But at least you got it working again. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think the “remove node” option just puts the stick into remove mode, then press the action button on zwave device. It logs the removed node in the log, and logs the added node when I re add it, if you see what I mean.

failed again :frowning:

nothing responding, aeotec is cycling its colours. Tried power down everything. Also change USB port,
below when I try a heal to the stick

2020-07-23 19:51:13.975 Detail, Node001, Queuing (Controller) Request Node Neighbor Update
2020-07-23 19:51:13.975 Info, Requesting Neighbor Update for node 1
2020-07-23 19:51:13.975 Detail, Node001, Queuing (Command) ControllerCommand_RequestNodeNeighborUpdate (Node=1): 0x01, 0x05, 0x00, 0x48, 0x01, 0x5b, 0xe8
2020-07-23 19:51:13.975 Detail, Notification: ControllerCommand - Starting
2020-07-23 19:51:13.975 Detail,
2020-07-23 19:51:13.976 Info, Node001, Sending (Command) message (Callback ID=0x5b, Expected Reply=0x48) - ControllerCommand_RequestNodeNeighborUpdate (Node=1): 0x01, 0x05, 0x00, 0x48, 0x01, 0x5b, 0xe8
2020-07-23 19:51:14.976 Error, Node001, ERROR: Dropping command, expected response not received after 1 attempt(s)
2020-07-23 19:51:14.976 Detail, Node001, Removing current message
2020-07-23 19:51:14.976 Detail, Node001, Notification: Notification - TimeOut
2020-07-23 19:51:14.977 Detail, Notification: ControllerCommand - Error - Failed

From those logs, unless someone else has a better idea, I’d say your controller (z stick) is failing.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to verify it, tho, aside from buying a new one and trying it out.

you may be right, left it over night, 2 devices are kind of talking, but main page saying everything unavailable still.

2020-07-24 11:45:35.031 Info, Node041, Received Basic set from node 41: level=0.  Sending event notification.
2020-07-24 11:45:35.031 Detail, Node041, Notification: NodeEvent
2020-07-24 11:45:35.339 Detail, Node041,   Received: 0x01, 0x0f, 0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x29, 0x09, 0x71, 0x05, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0xff, 0x07, 0x00, 0x00, 0x58
2020-07-24 11:45:35.339 Detail, 
2020-07-24 11:45:35.339 Info, Node041, ApplicationCommandHandler - Unhandled Command Class 0x71
2020-07-24 11:46:07.757 Detail, Node045,   Received: 0x01, 0x0c, 0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x2d, 0x06, 0x31, 0x05, 0x01, 0x22, 0x00, 0xcf, 0x04
2020-07-24 11:46:07.757 Detail, 

downloaded the windows based “Simplicity Studio” as mentioned on the Aerotec site (https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000226205-z-wave-command-class-configuration-tool-download-) It talked to the z-stick OK. Didn’t play around with it pretty low level stuff… Maybe another day. Anyway reinstalled homeassistant from scratch same problem. So last thing to try, a factory reset of z-stick. Remove and add nodes back again. Lost it one night. but has been behaving itself at the moment with just 5 multisensor 6’s installed. will add rest in the next week.