Lost the ability to edit device names - option is greyed out

Wanted to see if anyone else if having this issue. I just upgraded to 2022.2.2 and I can no longer edit my device names. The name is greyed out and can’t be changed.

Capture

Anyone else having this issue? I’m considering rolling back but want to know whether it’s something I did or an actual bug

4 Likes

Ok, super strange, I haven’t been able to update these all night but I just went back in and the option was no longer grey. So, I tried to update the name and the dialog box hung open and no change was made. I had to click outside of the dialog to make it go away.

Found this in the logs after:

2022-02-05 00:32:43 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection] [139692437681440] Error handling message: Unknown error
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/decorators.py", line 27, in _handle_async_response
await func(hass, connection, msg)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/config/device_registry.py", line 66, in websocket_update_device
msg["disabled_by"] = DeviceEntryDisabler(msg["disabled_by"])
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/enum.py", line 384, in __call__
return cls.__new__(cls, value)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/enum.py", line 702, in __new__
raise ve_exc
ValueError: None is not a valid DeviceEntryDisabler
2022-02-05 00:32:43 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/decorators.py", line 27, in _handle_async_response
await func(hass, connection, msg)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/config/device_registry.py", line 66, in websocket_update_device
msg["disabled_by"] = DeviceEntryDisabler(msg["disabled_by"])
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/enum.py", line 384, in __call__
return cls.__new__(cls, value)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/enum.py", line 702, in __new__
raise ve_exc
ValueError: None is not a valid DeviceEntryDisabler
During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/decorators.py", line 29, in _handle_async_response
connection.async_handle_exception(msg, err)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/connection.py", line 143, in async_handle_exception
self.send_message(messages.error_message(msg["id"], code, err_message))
KeyError: 'id'

Now the option is grey again and I can no longer make the change.

Same here, everything was fine until I did an update about a hour ago.
Now unable to edit any devices name, can only edit the devices entities names.

Having this issue as well!

Same problem here, with a fresh installed 2022.2.2

Same fresh install

Same situation here.

Same issue. I can change the entities, but not the device.

Same problem here. Just fresh installed yesterday.

Edit: I believe this commit is to fix this problem. https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/65701

Same here, all blue after reboot, try to add device to room then gray and stay gray until reboot.

What I did to get it working again was install the backup that was auto created before updating to
I unchecked the ‘Folders’ and 'Home Assistant configuration" so only the 2022.2.1 core would be the only change.

So far, seems to be working ok.

1 Like

I’ve got the same issue. Noticed it after adding new devices. More details in this thread.

On new installs this won’t work

Hopefully a patch will come soon

Phew! I thought I was doing something wrong. Glad it’s not just me being a newbie!

1 Like

Looks like downgrading to 2022.2.1 temporary fix this issue.

For people with fresh installed, you can issue this command to downgrade

ha core update --version 2022.2.1

Hello, I have same problem :unamused:

Seems to be fixed in 2022.2.3.

Glad to hear that!