Lost two years of work

That really sucks, but I’m glad to hear you’ll be rebuilding.

I suggest adding an automatic backup of your snapshots to your system when you rebuild. I’ve used both Dropbox and Google Drive with good results.

1 Like

Not to me. I don’t see such folder name in my installation and that doesn’t explain how has it been installed - is it Hass OS, is it Hassio in Docker on another OS?

Old hassio was based on resin not hassos.

I installed it through the image hassio.io I started from that …
What do you mean using SD recovery?
I begin to have hope

I’ve had the same (did have some back-ups, but they were old). By installing linux file systems from Paragon (trial version) I was able to open the other directories on the SD card in Windows, en acces all my config files.
Also have a look at this thread

good luck

Before there was HassOS, Hassio image was based on Resin-OS. Based on that directory, it was either a RESINOS Based install of hassio, or a VERY early HassOS based hassio install.

Sounds like ResinOS which the old Hass IO was based on has shat itself. If your using a windows PC you wont see any config files on the sd card as the partition where the Hass config files are stored is a Linux file system.

Most likely your config files are just fine and safe on the sd card.

You just need to mount the SD card to either a Linux machine or use a specific windows tool. Let me K own if you want some help with getting your config back!!

unfortunately it is not so, yes you are right when you say that from windows I don’t see anything is like this. I can get the resin-data folder using a Linux OS but unfortunately the folder is empty

Sorry to hear
Recommendations for future

some SD recovery tool?

In the past I tried one and was succesful, but can’t remember the tool. The fiorst google search gave me this (not tested by me)

https://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/card-recovery-software/sd-card-recovery-freeware.htm

it adds more reason to add in cloud backup solutions to home assistant

Since we’re touching the microSD reliability, what are the alternatives that people are using? Enabling boot from USB and using a flash drive? SSD? USB HDD? MicroSD adapter to something else?

I recently loss my install and my RPI 3B+ wouldn’t boot Hassio from microSD. Tried a few microSD, different RPI 3B and another RPI 3B+ with the same error “Ethernet not found”. At the end I used the opportunity to upgrade my 3B to 3B+, got a new microSD and flashed from a different computer. Definitely the ultimate fix…

I’d rather avoid going thru that again and find a more reliable solution.

1 Like

in the end I solved after installing dozens of useless software for the recovery of corrupted SD I found “Photorec” that managed to get the data lost but extrapolated them into a hundred .tar files but obviously all broken / corrupted, but with the only software in circulation sysinfotools paid 54 $ I was able to open them the code was scatered. now I have installed “google drive” addons that save the snapshots on the cloud, now the security level is very high

2 Likes

where did you find that

Created new add-on to backup snapshots to Google Drive I haven’t looked at it, and it looks like it is broken in the latest release

It’s the old Resin OS not HassOS

Thanks, will have a look.
It was not on the Official add-ons nor Community add-ons in my Hass.io, hence the question.
Apparently one can add other repositories as well, haven’t tried that yet.

@gojonny @crzykidd and @AhmadK This add-on is a better one for Google Drive backups. It is newer and has more options etc, plus not broken

2 Likes

yes I was referring to this, it seems to work well and regularly saves the snashots on the google drive on my account and there are many configuration options and then graphically pleasing