Lost z-wave thermostats when upgrading from 0.102 to 0.103 (or 0.104)

I have been using HomeAssistant successfully to control temperature in my house. I have two thermostats, both z-wave. One is a CT101 controlling my gas furnace, the other one a Stelpro controlling an electric floor heating system. Both work when used with Home Assistant up to 0.102.

After upgrading Home Assistant to 0.103 I lose both thermostats in the interface and the climate automations do not work anymore. Same after upgrading to 0.104, the Lovelace card details tell me that “This entity is currently unavailable and is an orphan to a removed, changed or dysfunctional integration or device. If the entity is no longer in use, you can clean it up by removing it.

When I downgrade to 0.102 the devices show up again and the climate automations work.

I have read the upgrade notes for 0.103 and 0.104, but am unable to find why the entities get unavailable or what else to do to rectify the problem. I am sure I am missing something, can anyone help?

Did you look to see of they exist in the zwave panel but with new entity ids?

Not sure which release, but recently the zwave thermostat stuff changed and my thermostat which use to have two climate entities now only has one which is a new name from either of the pervious ones.

Thanks for your reply.

Just up- and down-graded and took screenshots. In the z-wave panel for the respective node, the entity IDs are exactly the same (“zwave.05_bath_floor”).

Now, sometime long ago I customized most entity IDs, could this be the problem? Of course, the zwave entity ID is not the entity ID I see in “Configurations / Entities”. The relevant entity ID that works in 0.102 is “climate.05_bath_floor_heating”, it is the same in 0.104, but here it has a symbol on the left that I assume means it is not valid.

How can I find the entity ID HA 0.104 needs? There is nothing usable I can find in the “Configurations / Entity”.

Dang, renaming the entity wouldn’t have caused the problem mine are all renamed and I didn’t have that problem.

Unfortunately the only thing I could suggest would be unpaid the device on 102 and repair it on 104 and see if it works?

I have the same problem with my Zwave aeotec Home Energy Meter Gen 5, I have already unpaid and paid and also remove zwave network and add the Zwave network + starting --> nothing changed It doesn’t work

There was a problem with Z-wave on 0.103. See the “Other breaking changes” section:

But this was solve few day later with this PR: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/29955

Thanks, in my case I got it working again with unpairing / repairing. Of course the entity IDs had new names, which also meant I had to redo all automations and the manual lovelace cards.

I still have no clue why the identical things did not work in 0.103 or 0.104, but worked without problem in 0.102.

That would be due to code changes that used the thermostat modes to indicate a climate device. It was in the release notes/blog.

And I still can’t find where it was mentioned. I think I re-read the release note/announcements from .102 (where everything was working fine) to .103 to 0.104 multiple times. I do not believe it was mentioned there. I seem to remember that I had to change some things regarding thermostats after upgrading to 0.96, most notable moving to hvac_mode. I did not see that it would become necessary to change entity IDs nor do I know how to do it correctly in this case.

So I apologize, but I seem incapable of finding where it was mentioned or announced.

Here’s the link to the part for it in the blog post (under the zwave section):

Thank you, I read that many times. And I can read it again and cannot see why or how this applies to my situation.

Z-Wave - This changes the primary command class for z-wave thermostats in discovery schemas from COMMAND_CLASS_THERMOSTAT_SETPOINT to COMMAND_CLASS_THERMOSTAT_MODE . This will cause a typical dual setpoint thermostat to be correctly represented as a single entity. - (@oandrew - #27040) (zwave docs)

Post the ozwcache_xxxx.xml entries that contain your thermostats.