Lovelace: A method of splitting the configuration into several files

If I understand this correct, this is a way to make different sets of views? Like I describe in this tipic:

In that case, how do I do this manually without the script? And where is the lovelace folder?

No, sorry.
This tool is mainly for dividing the ui-lovelace.yaml file into more manageable parts. It doesn’t affect the interface.

There’s currently no way to do what you’re asking for, but you can kind of fake it using a combination of the lovelace kiosk script and using imges with navigation_path set.

You can also name a view " " (a single space inside quotes)…

I’m trying to make a header file that I will include in the top of all my views. The header has the weather-forecast in it as well as a couple of presence detection entities and some other entity cards relevant to each room. I can edit the ui-lovelace file and make it come out like I want, but I can’t seem to get the header.yaml file correct. Here is what it should look like. My presence tags are wrong, but that’s ok, it’s because of re-configuring owntracks and not part of this problem.

This is the ui-lovelace.yaml file that I modified to make it work.

views:
- cards:
  - cards:
    - cards:
      - entities:
        - {entity: device_tracker.turboc1208_cc1208, name: Chip}
        - {entity: device_tracker.scox1209_scox1209, name: Susan}
        title: Presence
        type: entities
      - type: weather-forecast
        entity: weather.dark_sky
      - entities:
        - sensor.date
        - sensor.time
        - {entity: sensor.master_temperature, name: Bedroom Temperature}
        - {entity: sensor.master_bath_sensor_temperature, name: Bathroom Temperature}
        - {entity: sensor.master_bath_sensor_relative_humidity, name: Bathroom Humidity}
      type: horizontal-stack
    - cards:
      - entities: [light.master_fan_level, light.master_light_level, light.master_floor_light_level,
          switch.master_cove_outlet_switch]
        title: Lights and  Fan
      - cards:
        - {entity: media_player.mbr_directv, name: Directv, type: media-control}
        - {entity: media_player.mbr_roku, name: Roku, type: media-control}
        type: vertical-stack
      type: horizontal-stack
    type: vertical-stack
  id: MBR
  panel: true
  title: Master BR

Here is what my MBR.yaml file looks like

- title: Master BR
  panel: true
  id: MBR
  cards:
  # The filter card will filter entities for their state
    - type: vertical-stack
      cards:
        - type: horizontal-stack
          cards:
            - !include header.yaml
            - type: entities
              entities:
                - sensor.date
                - sensor.time
                - entity: sensor.master_temperature
                  name: Bedroom Temperature
                - entity: sensor.master_bath_sensor_temperature
                  name: Bathroom Temperature
                - entity: sensor.master_bath_sensor_relative_humidity
                  name: Bathroom Humidity
          cards:
            - type: entities
              title: Lights and  Fan 
              entities:
                - light.master_fan_level
                - light.master_light_level
                - light.master_floor_light_level
                - switch.master_cove_outlet_switch
              cards: 
                - type: media-control
                  entity: media_player.mbr_directv
                  name: Directv
                - type: media-control
                  entity: media_player.mbr_roku
                  name: Roku

And here is the header file that is giving me problems.

cards:
  entities:
    - entity: device_tracker.turboc1208_cc1208
      name: Chip
    - entity: device_tracker.scox1209_scox1209
      name: Susan
  type: weather-forecast
  entity: weather.dark_sky

What am I doing wrong?

Try pasting it in manually and see what happens:
You’ll get:

cards:
      cards:
        - cards:

Doesn’t look quite right now, does it?

it’s the weather I’m having problems with when I run it through the converter.

I followed the installation instructions step by step but now I have the following problem:
python 3 is required but I dont know how to install it on my machine.
I use hass.io on a tinker board and I am currently using the IDE addon.

There’s a special section in the readme for usage on hass.io. Home Assistant itself runs on python3 so it’s definitely available, but a bit harder to get at in hass.io since it’s inside a container.

How would someone run this who is using docker for running HA? Is it the same procedure as for hassio?

And just to clarify my understanding of this if I decide to go this route instead of the standard !include statements…

in the lovelace directory (that I created in my config folder) I would create a main.yaml file with the similar structure as the existing ui-lovelace.yaml file but I use !include statements pointing to other files that will get compiled into the new ui-lovelace.yaml file when i run the generator command?

is there any benefit to running this compared to using the current built-in !include functionality?

It would be the same procedure as for hass.io, yes. I use that myself, running Home Assistant in docker.

Your understanding of the procedure is correct.

The main benefit isn’t really the include function anymore, since it’s been decided that functionality will stay in core indefinitely. Instead, I’d say the main benefits are the jinja templating and the !file statement.

In short, lovelace-gen isn’t as useful as it seemed it would become. Which is great!

1 Like

Also, see this topic for more recent updates and discussion.

Hi. Trying to get lovelace-gen up and running but i keep getting the following error with python3

What am i doing wrong?

You’re using a version of python 3 (3.5) that’s more than two years old. However, that version is supported by Home Assistant, so I should change lovelace-gen to work with it as well… Expect an update in the next few days.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

It’s updated now. The new version should work in python 3.5.3.

Hi @thomasloven

I’ve added

anchors:
  mystyle: &mystyle
    card:
       ....styling....

to one of my includes but after generation in ui-lovelace.yaml there is only

anchors:
  mystyle:
    card:
       ....styling....

left. I’ve got generation errors, I thought because the reference (&mystyle) is missing.

Example reference:

- type: custom:button-card
  entitiy: switch.dummy
  styles:
      <<: *mystyle

If I add the parts to ui-lovelace.yaml manually it works like a charm.

Is it possible to use anchors with the generation script?

Only in the same file, unfortunately.

I cant seem to get this working, the script complains about not finding floorplan.yaml even though it is in the lovelace directory. What can I be doing wrong?

bash-5.0# python3 lovelace-gen.py
Processing of yaml failed.
floorplan.yaml {"no_other":"true"}
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "lovelace-gen.py", line 82, in <module>
    main()
  File "lovelace-gen.py", line 68, in main
    raise e
  File "lovelace-gen.py", line 64, in main
    data = process_file(MAIN_FILE)
  File "lovelace-gen.py", line 35, in process_file
    return yaml.load(template.render()+ '\n')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/main.py", line 331, in load
    return constructor.get_single_data()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/constructor.py", line 111, in get_single_data
    return self.construct_document(node)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/constructor.py", line 121, in construct_document
    for _dummy in generator:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/constructor.py", line 1553, in construct_yaml_map
    self.construct_mapping(node, data, deep=True)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/constructor.py", line 1458, in construct_mapping
    value = self.construct_object(value_node, deep=deep)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/constructor.py", line 174, in construct_object
    for _dummy in generator:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/constructor.py", line 1545, in construct_yaml_seq
    data.extend(self.construct_rt_sequence(node, data))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/constructor.py", line 1304, in construct_rt_sequence
    ret_val.append(self.construct_object(child, deep=deep))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/constructor.py", line 167, in construct_object
    data = constructor(self, node)
  File "lovelace-gen.py", line 38, in include_statement
    return process_file(node.value)
  File "lovelace-gen.py", line 35, in process_file
    return yaml.load(template.render()+ '\n')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/main.py", line 331, in load
    return constructor.get_single_data()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/constructor.py", line 111, in get_single_data
    return self.construct_document(node)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/constructor.py", line 121, in construct_document
    for _dummy in generator:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/constructor.py", line 1553, in construct_yaml_map
    self.construct_mapping(node, data, deep=True)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/constructor.py", line 1458, in construct_mapping
    value = self.construct_object(value_node, deep=deep)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/constructor.py", line 174, in construct_object
    for _dummy in generator:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/constructor.py", line 1545, in construct_yaml_seq
    data.extend(self.construct_rt_sequence(node, data))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/constructor.py", line 1304, in construct_rt_sequence
    ret_val.append(self.construct_object(child, deep=deep))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ruamel/yaml/constructor.py", line 167, in construct_object
    data = constructor(self, node)
  File "lovelace-gen.py", line 38, in include_statement
    return process_file(node.value)
  File "lovelace-gen.py", line 31, in process_file
    template = jinja.get_template(path)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/jinja2/environment.py", line 830, in get_template
    return self._load_template(name, self.make_globals(globals))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/jinja2/environment.py", line 804, in _load_template
    template = self.loader.load(self, name, globals)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/jinja2/loaders.py", line 113, in load
    source, filename, uptodate = self.get_source(environment, name)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/jinja2/loaders.py", line 187, in get_source
    raise TemplateNotFound(template)
jinja2.exceptions.TemplateNotFound: floorplan.yaml {"no_other":"true"}

lovelace-gen has been replaced with lovelace_gen (sorry about the confusing name), which is much better and easier to use: 🔹 Lovelace_gen - Add abilities to ui_lovelace.yaml

Thanks! But I tried also this version but seems that I cant take control over the Lovelace UI with lovelace: mode: yaml in my config. Then I only get “Saving failed: Not supported”. If I remove this I can get control. Also I don’t have the “Refresh” option in my dashboard, perhaps due to the same reason?

That’s correct. With mode: yaml you cannot use the gui editor. https://www.home-assistant.io/lovelace/yaml-mode/