Lovelace: Button card

Hmā€¦iā€™m dumbā€¦canā€™t make it workā€¦ i have a second option (HACS):

1. i found and replaced that in www/community/button-card/button-card.js
  2. i deleted .gz file
  3. here iā€™m stuckā€¦if i go to resources, ā€œbutton-cardā€ has url : ā€œ/hacsfiles/button-card/button-card.jsā€ . if i change that into : ā€œ/hacsfiles/button-card/button-card.js&patch=2023.03.30ā€ HA says button-card not found. Iā€™m not a programmer, but i kinda donā€™t understand why i should change that entry since i didnā€™t change button-card.js nameā€¦ i just altered a piece of programā€¦or ?

Iā€™m not on discord, so i canā€™t see thereā€¦sorry

not sure, I never do that on HACS resources.

you can however add the edited file to another folder I your www, and point to that in the resources dialog?
/config/lovelace/resources and add the new resource

Nopeā€¦doesnā€™t workā€¦same error.: canā€™t read properties of undefinedā€¦(reading ā€œstateā€)ā€¦

that error doesnā€™t make sense, that means the ā€˜state machineā€™ is loaded (because thereā€™s no error on states) but it canā€™t find that single state, which in general is not possibleā€¦ Are you sure you have a correct entity_id in that js template?

Sorry for delayed answerā€¦

• that erorr was only a part of itā€¦ if i removed ā€œ.stateā€ from template definitions it was gone, but then templates stop workingā€¦

but, now i restored my test HA with my production image (i never do testing on my live HA!). Then i only replaced above ā€œquerySelectorā€ line in existing button-card.js with new content. Lastly i updated to 2023.4b and now it seems that button-card works! So, it was obviously ā€œsomethingā€ on my test HAā€¦ sorry for that, guys!

Only error remains for decluttering card:
(EDIT: was just solved on githubā€¦)

* replace with querySelector("app-drawer-layout partial-panel-resolver, ha-drawer partial-panel-resolver") in particiular

FYI: some formatting was lost when coping text.
The first revison was striked out as it would make it compatible with beta
The second one works with stable as well.

Also some cards had already been updated by their own devs to work.

EDIT: beta4 has changed things again. mwc-drawer is dead, long live ha-drawer :wink:
The code above has been updated to address that.

Hey Kulmegil,

do you by any chance also use Kiosk-mode? we can not apply the same fix there, but I did try to replace app-drawer-layout by mwc-drawer I the resource. No such luck though, seems more is required there.

If you find a way, please chime I there too? Thx!

Nah.
But same quick patch wonā€™t work with all the cards (including Swipe Navigation) as there are more changes in frontend. It doesnā€™t look like a one liner fix and Iā€™ll leave it to dev - since @NemesisREhe is active it will likely be fixed before stable release.

et voila! BREAKING: HA 2023.4 no longer uses app-drawer-layout Ā· Issue #27 Ā· NemesisRE/kiosk-mode Ā· GitHub
back to topic now.

1 Like

Iā€™m struggeling to place Name / Label over an embedded Card. All my Attempts lead to the embedded Card covering the Text.
grafik
How can i control the Layering, and make the Fields Name/Label to be on Top?

type: custom:button-card
show_name: true
show_state: false
show_label: true
size: 30%
label: VAR LABEL
name: VAR NAME
custom_fields:
  graph:
    card:
      type: gauge
      entity: input_number.waterfilter_days_backwards
      name: Filter
      max: 0
      min: -30
      needle: true
      severity:
        green: -20
        yellow: -25
        red: -30
      unit: ' -'
      card_mod:
        style:
          ha-gauge:
            $: |
              svg.text {
                display: none;
              }
          .: |
            ha-card div.name {
              display: none;
            }
styles:
  card:
    - height: 8rem
    - font-size: 14px
    - padding-bottom: 5%
    - padding-top: 5%
    - color: black
    - overflow: unset
  name:
    - margin-top: '-5%'
    - overflow: visible
  label:
    - margin-top: '-20%'
  custom_fields:
    graph:
      - filter: opacity(100%)
      - margin-top: '-2%'
      - overflow: hidden
  grid:
    - grid-template-areas: '"graph" "l" "n"'
    - grid-template-columns: 100%
    - grid-template-rows: min-content min-content min-content

As you can see, additionally i am struggeling to remove the Border of the embedded Card. Because i already used some Card-Mod to remove Text from the Card, the Example Code from the Docs doesnā€™t work. I will take care of that Problem, after the Placement-Issue with Card-Mod is solved.
Just mentioning, if this is an easy-peasy-Thing, iā€™d be even happier :slight_smile:

But my Main Problem right now is Controlling the Order / Layering of Elements.
Would be awesome if you know the magic Line i couldnā€™t find!

Layering in CSS is usually done with the z-index property. Iā€™ve never attempted to use it within a button-card, but you should give it a try.

1 Like

Awesome! That was it. Just the z-filter i didnā€™t find. Didnā€™t think of. Works awesome!
Now i can basically nest any card inside Custom Button Card, with the Benefit to set fixed sizes, and ā€œoverlayā€ any other Fields i can think of.

styles:
  card:
    - height: 7rem
    - position: absolute
    - top: 0
    - left: 0
    - font-size: 14px
    - padding-bottom: 5%
    - padding-top: 5%
    - color: black
    - overflow: unset
  name:
    - margin-top: '-25%'
    - z-index: 999
  label:
    - margin-top: '-25%'
    - z-index: 998

Thank you so much for the right Keyword !!!

1 Like

I just updated to 2023.4.0 and all of my many Custom Button Cards say
cannot read properties of null (reading 'config')

1 Like

Releases Ā· custom-cards/button-card (github.com)

1 Like

Iā€™ve updated to latest v3.5.0 and iā€™ve still got the error - any ideas? do my templates need to be moved to a different location?

I can confirm also that there is an issue.

When I updated to 2023.4.0, all my custom button cards errored out with the ā€œnullā€ warning and reading ā€˜t.configā€™. I then found the version 3.5 on github, updated, and on PC, it started working again, but on devices (iphones/ipads), using the HA app, the error still remains. Tried refreshing, reboots, everything I could think of, nothing helped.

Thanks.

You need to clear cache on mobile as well. On iOS I believe itā€™s in the companion settings panel. On Android you need to clear caches through the Android settings page (where you have all apps listed)

But I donā€™t understand why everyone here jumps on 2023.4 the minute itā€™s released. There are numerous reports in here that cards like button card, decluttering and kiosk mode are broken because of some major changes.

Just wait a few weeks till they get new releases and bugfixes of those releases and 2023.4 gets more bugfixes anyway. Running 2023.3.6 for a few weeks longer will not stop the earth from spinning.

1 Like

Here also the same issues. Just did a restore to 2023.3x because my complete dashboard is ruined

there were numerous of updates of cards to comply with 2023.4. But, (at least on windows) you must totally clear all: in chrome or edge: press F12 (to enter developer mode), then right-click on ā€œrefreshā€ icon and select ā€œempty cache and hard refreshā€. Only then it shows correctly - only CTRL+F5 doesnā€™t help.

1 Like

Thank you - that worked for me!