Lovelace: Button card

Hi!

How can I convert this jinja template value into javascript for custom button card?

value: "{{ state_attr('switch.adaptive_lighting_home', 'brightness_pct')|int }}"

value: "[[[ return state['switch.adaptive_lightning_home'].attributes.brightness_pct ]]]"

But the code doesn’t typecast/filter to/for int. This is something different and you should do these checks afterwards for yourself, if really necessary. Or just leave it as is, I doubt you’ll ever stumble over this. :slight_smile:

Entity object always refers to most parent card.

In example below you can see card (some custom code removed to improve readability), with entity defined, but also with embeded another custom button card

type: custom:button-card
entity: binary_sensor.cube_door_garden
show_name: true
custom_fields:
  window:
    card:
      entity: binary_sensor.cube_window
      name: |
        [[[ return (entity.attributes.friendly_name) ]]]

In the example above, name of sub-card is filled with name of entity assigned to parent card.
I would say it’s the bug. But want to confirm first if I’m not doing anything wrong. If so, how can I reference in the template a card the template belongs to?

That’s by design. All variables get passed to the entire parent card configuration, which includes the child card. Hardcode the name or use a button card variable.

As a side remark, name already returns the friendly name. That code is redundant, unless you were just using it as an example.

Yes, I exploited name attribute just to quickly display the value.

Thank you for the answer. Documentation is lacking of that fact. Unfortunately It effectively disables part of templating features for embedded cards. but yeah
 It can be somehow resolved with use of template variables.

I use lovelace gen for most of this stuff to get around things like this. However making the leap to lovelace gen is time consuming. It removes the need for decluttering card, and you can build single templates and extend them anywhere by accessing them with a small config. Took my 100K+ lines down to ~5000ish.

Actually templates for custom button cards are very usefull and helped me also to minimize code repetition a lot.
The reason I asked for that was that the card should react on tap_action only for particular state of its entity. And behave “not clickable” otherwise (simply button to disable something, without option to enable). This makes relation to the entity assigned to the card. Obviously I can repeat entity name on both places (entity and tap_action template) but wanted to avoid this redundancy.

And because of chosen graphical design of cards I’m using embedded custom cards for that. As simply as that.

Can you elaborate? I’m not following what you mean. There are ways to stop click events on elements using CSS.

This is the card:

Those icons represent binary sensors (not switches) representing trashcan has to be pulled out for trash collection. The role of UI is to inform trash has to be pulled out and allow confirmation of this action. But it should not react on click otherwise.
The icons are nested custom button cards inside parent custom button card. Code of top-right button is listed bellow.

template: subsection_window
                entity: binary_sensor.garbage_mixed
                tap_action:
                  confirmation:
                    text: Confirm pulling MIXED container out
                  action: >
                    [[[ return (states['binary_sensor.garbage_mixed'].state ==
                    'off' ? 'none' : 'call-service') ]]]
                  service: svc2evnt.fire_event
                  service_data:
                    event_type: garbage
                    data:
                      domain: mixed
                      action: PULLEDOUT

As you can see see it requires to use binary_sensor.garbage_mixed in the code twice. Once for regular entity, and second time in template condition.
If it was most top card I could use instead:

action: >
                    [[[ return entity.state == 'off' ? 'none' : 'call-service' ]]]
1 Like

Hi, I have a question about one of my card

In the PC browser I see it in one way, from a smartphone in another way. The icon on the middle of the card is not in the center, but the same card and the same icon on my smartphone it is centered.

there is something wrong? How can I correct? thanks

Code:

type: grid
cards:
  - type: custom:button-card
    aspect_ratio: 1.1/1.5
    styles:
      custom_fields:
        thermo:
          - align-self: start
          - position: absolute
          - left: 0px
          - top: 130px
          - height: 100%
          - width: 100%
          - line-height: 0px
          - z-index: auto
        accendi:
          - left: 15px
          - top: 25px
          - height: 70px
          - width: 80px
          - line-height: 15px
        spegni:
          - right: 15px
          - top: 25px
          - height: 70px
          - width: 80px
          - border-radius: 100%
        caldaia:
          - right: 35%
          - top: 13px
          - height: 100px
          - width: 100px
    custom_fields:
      thermo:
        card:
          type: custom:thermostat-card
          title: Thermo
          entity: climate.termostato
          no_card: true
          step: 1
      accendi:
        card:
          type: button
          tap_action:
            action: toggle
          entity: switch.riscaldamento_20_on
          icon: hass:fire
          name: 20° / ON
          style: |
            ha-card {
             box-shadow: none;
      spegni:
        card:
          type: button
          tap_action:
            action: toggle
          entity: switch.riscaldamento_00_off
          icon: hass:fire-off
          name: SPEGNI
            ha-card {
      caldaia:
        card:
          aspect_ratio: 2/2
          name: CALDAIA
          styles:
            card:
              - font-size: 10px
            icon:
              - width: 65px
            name:
              - font-weight: bold
              - font-size: 17px
              - line-height: 28px
          entity: sensor.stato_riscaldamento
          color: rgb(128, 128, 128)
          state:
            - value: IN FUNZIONE
              color: rgb(255, 0, 0)
          show_state: true
          show_label: true
            ha-card {
columns: 1
square: false

PC

Smartphone

You could solve that one by using variables in the “top” card. Set a variable there and use it throughout the cards.

- type: custom:button-card
  variables:
    var_entity: blub

In the second level card you can use it as is. I had the problem, that sometimes a card one level deeper (third level) doesn’t recognize the variable. I think, that may be kind of a bug, but can’t say for sure. If this happens to you as well, set the variable again in the second level. Then you can reach it in the third for sure.

Second level card:

variables:
  var_entity_again: "[[[ return variables.var_entity; ]]]"

And in the third level use it as usual. :slight_smile:

Not the best way, but it def. works. :+1: I haven’t investigated it further, and it only happens on some cards, not on others.

1 Like

Ok, to remove the click action, in your style area for the custom_fields, add the following css property

- pointer-events: none

That will remove all ‘clicks from the item’.

You can also just place an icon anywhere on the button without it being a card as well. I have examples of this in my configuration. This is the only one I can think of off the top of my head:

Example of the overview in action

The info custom_fields builds icons and displays them based on light counts etc. You can use this chunk of code to place any icon you want with any color:

info: |
    [[[
      color = 'var(--paper-item-icon-active-color)';
      icon = 'mdi:eye';
      return `<ha-icon
        icon="${icon}"
        style="width: 1.4em; height: 1.4em; color: ${color};">
        </ha-icon>`;
    ]]]

Just fill out the info based on the entity state and you’re good to go.

2 Likes

guys, i need a little help please. i want adopt this little javascript to button-card, but i have no clue how

let hour = new Date().getHours()
let h = hour.toString().padStart(2, "0") // current hour in format 08, 09, 10, 11

if (binary_sensor["kute_tana_" + h] == hour){
    // do something
}
return msg;

so basically i have sensors like binary_sensor.kute_tana_00, binary_sensor.kute_tana_01, binary_sensor.kute_tana_02, until binary_sensor.kute_tana_23. my goal with javascript is get true/false when ending number of sensor is same as hour number and change background color of button depending value - 15.00 is true binary_sensor.kute_tana_15, 22.00 is true binary_sensor.kute_tana_22 etc.

Hi,

maybe this example helps:
I change the Icon color in dependency of the state value and a binary_sensor:

icon:
    - color: |
        [[[
          if (entity.state == 'on' & states['binary_sensor.display_night_view'].state == 'off') return 'RGB(194,149,27)';
          if (entity.state == 'on' & states['binary_sensor.display_night_view'].state == 'on' ) return 'RGB(99, 75, 10)';
          if (entity.state == 'off' & states['binary_sensor.display_night_view'].state == 'on') return 'RGB(80, 10, 10)';
          else return 'RGB(200, 15, 15)';
        ]]]

Important: You should use the “custom:button-card”. Its a front end add on installed via HACS.

You can do something like this as well:

name: |
                  [[[
                    var street = states['sensor.yvonnes_location'].attributes.street
                    var number = states['sensor.yvonnes_location'].attributes.street_number
                    street = street.substring(0,30)
                    if (states['sensor.yvonnes_location'].attributes.devicetracker_zone == 'not_home')
                       return street + ' ' + number;
                    else return states['person.yvonne'].state;
                  ]]]

Slightly off topic but does all the templating at the top of the file cause loads of wavy red lines in VSC or is it just that I have something missing/mis-set in mine?

(Seeing as I only know the rudiments of Javascript I could well be using your config for reference but I was just wondering, how many octopi do you have in your config :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

That code uses lovelace_gen, so it won’t work in your setup if you don’t use lovelace gen. Also, there’s
a lot of ‘wizardy’ in that code, so stripping out the lovelace_gen stuff will be a chore. It basically uses lovelace_gen to generate a static js object for use.

In general, I would avoid using this card if you can’t read code. But you can use it to get the styling and the code snipit I supplied should properly create an icon for you if you fill in color and icon.

Yeah, I use lovelace_gen a lot, I just wondered if there was a way to get VSC to not think that jinja templates at the top of the file were errors.

That looks more like the spell checker from the browser, doesn’t it? With only that little piece of code shown on the image, I’d try to disable spell check in the browser and see what happens. :slight_smile:

You can change your language mode for that file to yaml & jinja in the lower right corner. You may need to install an extension to get that file type.