Lovelace Card Order is Baffling

Yep, perfect use for lovelace_gen. I do very similar things. Also if you do things this way, you don’t need to use the layout card because you’re cards will all meet the minimum 5 units height requirement. Everything will place it self properly. I only use the layout card in 1 spot to define a grid of cards that isn’t possible with the normal layout. Outside that, if you make sure all cards meet the minimum 5 height requirement, everything falls into the correct spot on mobile or desktop.

Might wanna hide your URL. :slight_smile:

1 Like

cake day :cake:

4 years! time flies :wink:

The PC view requires layout card to give the map more space, otherwise the 3rd person card falls under it and the map is too small for my liking. I also use it to superimpose Homer on the map :-), just for fun.

I don’t use it on the mobile view though.

Yep looking to do something similar

Right now its looking like a mess right now, i haven’t update it since the past few HA updates, all of them are stack in 1 column (using multiple custom-vertical stack in cards)

Ill try to inspire from your setup using layout-card and lovelace-gen
Thanks again

Too late tonight - but I’ll take a look at that tomorrow. Thanks.

Over the past year I have seen this argument a few times. While im not going to get deep into it. I do have to say that band-aiding the problem is not the solution, in my opinion. From a new users perspective they arent yet using ANY custom cards they are still trying to discover how it all works. and its frustrating as heck when the layout doesn’t do what you expect. Its very off-putting. Lets be real here, the devs are trying to make HA for everyone. its been said. That, imo should be the first thing thats fixed. But, as I have seen over this last year. Logic doesn’t always prevail. Developers sometimes overlook the simple things while critically thinking the major things. Matter of fact when I started with HA that was exactly what made me signup here and search for the solution to this wacky method the front end uses. Quickly I found out… its a hostile question. Not very inviting, to be honest.

For what its worth, I haev 25 custom cards installed. 8 of which are Thomas’s . Still dont have layout card, because I believe its the wrong-way, even if it solves the problem.

4 Likes

Love to hear your solution to this ‘problem’
I use stacks not the layout card and it gives me the expected result.

What many people in this thread don’t understand is: There’s a large user base that likes this automated placement setup. I fall in that category. I can make a single interface that works both on mobile and desktop that looks great. All because of how this layout is handled. If this changes, or we move to a system where you place cards, I’ll be forced to come up with 2 separate dashboards for desktop/mobile instead of using the system in place. There are many others in this situation as well. This is why I urge people to learn the rules and use layout card when needed. For example, I have around 100 views. I use layout card in 1 single view and it’s not even for the full view.

1 Like

I dont have a problem with it adjusting the cards like it does for users who want it.

just allow me to shift them around a after it auto adjusts and leave them where I place them A sort of ‘lock’ in place type thing, continuing to shift the ones I havent ‘locked’.

again its whatever. New users that dont know yaml (im sure we know where thats headed) expected to learn layout card to adjust the way they want it to look, when that should be such a simple thing to adjust.

Lets talk about layout card for a second. CSS based. So now i have to learn css just to move a card over 2 spots and down? yaml, homeassistant, integrations, css… all to show a few lights on a GUI and may, or may not even load, because the error messages arent exactly user friendly either. (some are)

2 Likes

This is why it drives me crazy:

There in lies the problem. You can’t have both, it’s one or the other. It’s a grid like position system or a automatic placement system.

Automatic placement systems are 100% better for multiple screen sizes.

Grid like systems always have a pitfall, you can only get so small before things creep out of there elements. A grid like system would force us to create 2 interfaces, one for mobile and one for desktop. And possibly 1 for a tablet. The list could go on depending on how many different screensizes you have.

You do not need to learn CSS. All you need to do is set the card height for each card in the layout card. Which is all yaml, no CSS. If you set all cards to the same height, you can move them wherever you want but you still need to reload the page to see the automatic placement.

If you want a static grid, then you need to know CSS. But then it will not shift the cards around when you’re on a smaller screen and elements will bleed into others.

1 Like

put those 4 cards as the first 4 cards on your view and set the size to 5 for each. They will be the first card in every column every time as long as the screen can fit 4 columns.

The bare minimum that would work without adding attributes to the card themselves would be:

type: custom:layout-card
layout: auto
min_height: 2
cards:
- card1
- card2
- card3
- card4
1 Like

I understand, because I have ‘some’ knowledge of coding and how it basically works for home assistant. (not enough to submit fixes, for any of this) but im basing my ideas off of what we are learning the end goal of home assistant will be. ‘for everyone’.

The new user would look at my gui and be baffled, can we agreee? I mean look at some of the newbie questions that popup daily…

regardless. having to install 25 custom cards, is not friendly for a beginner, and lets face it… a simple entity card llayout gets old fast.

Thanks for the words though Petro. I do appreciate it, and maybe ill look into it at some point.

1 Like

why? 192.168.x.x doesnt tell us anything, anyone can have this ip address

Bumping this thread just to say this default implementation is both bonkers and infuriating. If it actually did minimize scrolling it’s be awesome but it does not.

8 Likes

+1 moving a card from the bottom of the dashboard to the top is so awkward and frustrating right now. I have to click the up arrow over and over, and it’s not obvious where it goes to so I have to search for it and then do it again and again as it jumps all over the place. There has to be a better way. This is poor UX.

2 Likes

Use stacks or the custom layout card. The default is one card per column left to right and then a second row of cards etc… So it can appear random but it sorts for best fit even with different length cards. So use stacks which will force cards to the column you want in the order you want…